This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Right Side Dominance, Old Shoulder injuries, and Straddle Planche Standstill

Started by Jared Anderson, February 11, 2016 · 1 Replies · 89 Views

Jared Anderson

OK, So I have been doing gymnasticbodies for almost 2 years. I have had amazing results, even better than the physical therapist, acupuncture, dry needling, and chiropractor. I am trucking along through the foundation series and I am making progress slowly but surely.

 

I am stuck however on Straddle Planch. Currently I am at: sPL/PE 6: about 6 months ago I got to SE1 but my right side was taking most of the work and was drastically tightening up my pec minor, trap, scm, levator, every muscle around the shoulder blade etc even into my forearm.

 

So I backed up 3 progressions and started trying to master it even better. As of yesterday I just completed mastery level of sPL/PE 6.

 

The problem is my weaker (left shoulder) has had issues since my body builder days ten years ago. I have tendinitis, Thoracic outlet syndrome (diagnosed by one of the best physical therapist and shoulder surgeons. This is do to years of incorrect motion. On top of this I am majorly right side dominant. This shows up even on Rope Climb while doing negative Pull-ups right now. My right side tightens way up from forearm to scm and levator and everywhere in between and my left side fatigues very fast. Due to neurological disconnect, instability, and weakness/injury.

 

So here are my questions:

 

Is there some type of routine I can add in to give me bad ass stability and strength on the left while mobilizing the right?

 

I still need to mobilize the left as well because of scar tissue issues. Most of my scar tissue is below the clavicle and below the insertion to scm and levator. Some have suggested I may have a little degeneration on the insertion site of scm levator on the cervical spine.

 

Every time I try to advance to far on Straddle Planch and Rope Climb, my right arm, shoulder, and pec minor lock up from taking the brute of the work and my left shoulder fatigues fast.

 

I'm trying not to spend hours doing this since I have so much other work to do.  What I am trying to do is build a solid 30-40 minute routine 2X a week that would balance the shoulders and my thoracic outlet out while stabilizing and strengthening my right shoulder. Yes I do have the stretch series and I have not worked on the Thoracic series near as much as the other two :(

 

I hope this makes sense and I would sure like to know I am not alone with this issue. I have been dealing with it for years and years and no one has gotten me to the point where I feel confident in my training. I always have set backs and injuries that keep my from moving forward. And to be honest sometimes I just want to give up on this left shoulder and the pain and weakness. Don't get me wrong I am doing advanced handstands and all kinds of cool stuff I never thought possible. But I feel stuck. I can't imagine getting to a full straddle planch and 1 arm handstands without fixing this issue soon.

 

Any hope?

 

 

Cole Dano

You'll have to play around a bit to find what exactly works best for you but here are some somewhat random thoughts.

 

This is one that I find helpful for thoracic outlet

 

Also the RC iM's in general and in particular PE13-16iM's I'll do PE16>iM as a static as well and really focus on letting the band stretch that thoracic outlet area.

 

For strengthening one arm shrugs (other arm on a chair for support) and planks for a start.