This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training twice a Day?

Started by xi xia, October 20, 2009 · 2 Replies · 911 Views

xi xia

Hi Coach,

I am thinking about training twice a day with the GB WODS. I almost always feel pretty good and refreshed the next day after your workouts. Very little soreness. I've been doing this for 10 months now and am curious if twice a day training would accelerate progress, if done correctly. I'm not doing the WODS as prescribed (now having figured out how to scale appropriately) but have energy left in the tank for sure.

Can you give any suggestions on how that would look like? do the main site wod twice in one day separated by hours of rest? Mix up WODs from the previous week with the current day? Upper body / lower body split? Thank you.

xx

braindx

This is not a good idea.

It would be better to add in an extra day on Saturday.

IF someone is doing two-a-days, they are generally better off spent working two different attributes rather than strength + strength because the benefits are nominal while the propensity to overwork and get overuse injuries is very high.

xi xia

Yes, definitely want to avoid injury.

I've never trained at a true gymnastic facility but from hearing training stories, it seems like a gymnast trains for multiple hours in a day. I know they are working on skills as well as conditioning but that's all physical movement and basically work. I also realize they built up to that point. After my 10 months of these WODs, I feel like my work capacity for this type of work is moving up.

Yes, different attributes makes sense. That's why I mentioned this seems possible if done correctly. If GB WOD of the day was say leg focused, it would seem I could do a 4 rounder or an embedded WOD a few hours later just fine.

Olympic Lifting training side note: As that training intensifies and the lifter gets more experienced, a person is lifting multiple sessions in a day, 4-5 days a week. That's strength/speed worked over and over again and that has shown great results if done correctly.

Other thoughts or suggestions on this path are much appreciated.

braindx said:
This is not a good idea.

It would be better to add in an extra day on Saturday.

IF someone is doing two-a-days, they are generally better off spent working two different attributes rather than strength + strength because the benefits are nominal while the propensity to overwork and get overuse injuries is very high.