This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow noise in pushups

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, February 9, 2016 · 5 Replies · 164 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Sometimes during HBP/PE2 and in the wrist series SE3's for the handstand workout my elbow will make some crunching noises. I'm not sure why this is. At present it's not painful, but I know that that sort of noise might not be a good thing in the long run. I aim to corkscrew my hands (or fingers) into the mat to engage my arm and that helps to some degree. I was wondering on others' thoughts and experiences with this sensation and if there are any ways to prevent it or work around it.

 

Thanks.

korija

Offtopic: Do you push with your palm or your fingers?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmmm, hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps my palm, I'll get back to you after next workout. In the wrist pushups, I'm using my fingers (obviously), but as for HBP/PE2 I think it might be a mix of palm/finger. How would that effect the noise?

korija

No idea, by question was offtopic. I was just wondering since pushing with PALM activates much more triceps. I wish i had realize this earlier.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ping. Any insights?

Cole Dano

Elbows can make noise, if there is no pain then generally there is no problem. 

 

There can be tracking issues going on, wrist angle relative to elbow's direction of movement, where your weight is precisely on the hand (usually better more to the inside) etc. Just too many variables to try to suss out without more info and a lot of trial and error work. 

 

Since there is no pain, start by playing around with some of the variables on your own and see if you find anything.