This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lunch recommendations

Started by Ben G, February 8, 2016 · 21 Replies · 565 Views

Ben G

Hi,

What do you have for lunch? Todays lunch was an avocado, smoked salmon and an apple. Delicious.

Avacados and tomatoes with salt and pepper tend to be my go to vegetables for lunch. Is there any problem with this? Seems like I've heard that tomatoes aren't good because they're a nightshade?...or something like that.

I like most vegetables and work near the market so I can get pretty much anything. Not a big fan of salad dressing so in the past I've skipped on salads. It would be great to hear what everyone else is having.

I will also take this moment to confess to being a nutritional idiot yesterday during the Super Bowl. If you made a list of the top ten things not to eat I had too much of all of them.

Malcolm

Hi,

 

lunch is always mixed leaves with added 3 to 4 of onions/peppers/tomatoes/courgette/avocado/olives accompanied by either eggs [boiled or sliced omlette], cheese, cold meat from evening meal, or fish [usually tinned] with extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar drizzled over.

 

Malcolm

Jeff Serven

Ben, that sounds like a great lunch. Make sure that salt you are putting on your avocado and tomato is a colored sea salt. Literally any color works, those colors are trace minerals. 

 

Tomatoes are a night shade but unless you have a significant auto immune disease don't worry about it. I am going to take the opportunity of you asking this question to address a point that I would like to share. FOD MAP and nightshades are specialty things that need to be addressed by a medical professional with extensive blood work. People think the more complicated their diet the better they are, you are only the results you produce for yourself. This night shade stuff is non sense for people to avoid that don't have an advanced auto immune disease. Its like taking radiation for cancer when you don't have it. 

 

In the thousands of nutritional consults Ive done here is what I have come to find out as the pre requisite for self diagnosed 1) gluten intolerance 2) auto immune 3) FOD MAP (if you don't know what it is do not look it up) You have to be a) rich b) white c) female d) big wine drinker. 

 

If you don't have cancer don't worry about cancer treatment. If you don't have AIDS don't worry about AIDS treatment. If you don't have a an auto immune disease don't worry about nightshades. 

 

Anywho, sorry Ben. Back on point... Malcolm is pretty close to what I eat for lunch when Im on the go. Today I have leftovers from last night. My wife did a rotisseries chicken with some sauce from the liver and heart(insides) along with rice and broccoli. It took her a good hour and a half to make. I will start a recipe section for "Thrive meals from around the world". We are really lucky to have such a diverse crowd, lets learn from each other. 

 

Ben, one last thing. Use EVOO as Malcolm recommended for your salad. 

Bro'

Sorry, I looked FODMAP up, can you please update the Thrive shopping list accordingly?  :lol:

Jeff Serven

I now don't feel bad for making you Suspect 006.

Jason Dupree

What's with the suspects? Lol and haven't seen a 007 yet

Andre737

Hey Jeff,

great idea with "Thrive meals from around the world" !!

Jeff Serven

I will get it up by next week. 

Jeff Serven
Jason Dupree said:

What's with the suspects? Lol and haven't seen a 007 yet

The USA has Homeland Security to watch persons of interest or of nefarious intentions. Here at GB we have full blow Terrorist(we call them vegetarians) and we have peoples who just make me suspicious that they are OHOP (on his own program). There is no 007 for the simple fact I don't want to go around giving backhanded complements. 

Jeff Serven

Just kidding about the vegetarian thing. This is where I would put one of those smiley face things if I was a female. 

Jeff Serven

Guess I have to say "just kidding about being sexist" too now. 

Bro'

That post combo made me laugh a lot.  :lol: (no, I'm not a female, but I'm young so I'm allowed to use smileys)

Jason Dupree

My mother is a vegetarian and I'm highly offended *sarcasm face* I give her grief for it, especially when it drives the rest of my family into the arms of Ronald McDonald

Julia Quigley
On 2/10/2016 at 3:46 PM, Jeff Serven said:

I will get it up by next week. 

I'm sorry to hear you can't get it up whenever you want. 

Travis Widmann

Oh snap.

Cecily Fuhr

<whispers loudly> "Julia, I think you were supposed to put a smiley face in there. You know, because of the LADY THING..."

 

:)

Jeff Serven

Oh snap is right! Julia from the top rope. Haha.

Ryan Bailey
On 2/8/2016 at 9:29 AM, Jeff Serven said:

My wife did a rotisseries chicken with some sauce from the liver and heart(insides)

Holy ....

Jeff, can your wife share this sauce recipe. I saved the hearts, livers, and gizzards from my meat chickens when I butchered them, but am really interested in more options for their use. 

Jeff Serven

Yea, I will ask her. But my guess its some form of blended liver in the drippings of the chicken reduced in butter. 

 

 

Coach Sommer
40 minutes ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Holy ....

Jeff, can your wife share this sauce recipe. I saved the hearts, livers, and gizzards from my meat chickens when I butchered them, but am really interested in more options for their use. 

I would be interested in this also.

I tried once to make stuffing with gizzards like my grandmother used to make.  Her's was fantastic.  Mine was more like leftovers from a world war two mess tent with a drizzling of elmer's glue for gravy.

On second thought, that comparison is actually not fair to elmer's glue.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cecily Fuhr

I just wish we weren't having this liver/drippings/butter discussion when there's still half an hour to go before I can get to lunch. Must...not...drool...at...desk...

Ryan Bailey

No rush Jeff, whenever you have time. Man, Coach... had me laughing quite a while on that one.