This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A silly question

Started by julien, February 8, 2016 · 6 Replies · 368 Views

julien

Hi Jeff,

 

Ok, this is officially a silly question, but since I think about it each time I drink my water, I'll get it out of my head :-)

 

Is there any difference between:

1) drinking a bit of kombucha first for flavor and the bubbles and then having a large glass of water

and

2) putting the same amount of kombucha (like 20ml) in a glass, filling the glass with water and drinking the same large glass which is now very diluted kombucha?

 

I like to do both 1 and 2 but tend to gravitate towards 2 because it makes the water a bit bubbly and flavored faintly. Other than the small amount of kombucha displacing the water in the glass resulting in a nit less water, is there any difference in how the body treats the liquid?

 

Probably not, but since I've seen weirdest things physiologically, I thought I'd check and make sure there wasn't any difference and that both 1) and 2) could count towards daily water intake :-)

 

Julien

 

PS: just to clarify that I am not asking about any benefits added by the kombucha (I just like the flavor and bubbles), but rather that it doesn't affect the water negatively.

trw

Replace kombucha with lemon or lime and this is Jeff's answer in another thread.

 

 

Water and water alone counts towards your water goal. Adding lemon or lime is great but it does not count.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Kombucha is formally referred to as 'fermented tea' so I would think that while delicious (I enjoy some ginger kombucha if I've had something that doesn't agree with my stomach) it doesn't count towards the day's goal of 1L of water. If you're exercising or being active, it is literally four glasses of water. Anyone over 150lbs (60-70kg--it's been a while since I've had to convert) should be drinking this much as is.

 

I'd say enjoy the kombucha but keep up with the water intake.

Jeff Serven

Water and water alone counts. Your rationale is good and so are the two ingredients you are trying to combine (Kombucha and water) but this leads to then adding a little of this then a little of that next thing you know your are tying to call a coke "mostly water"

julien

Thanks Jeff, will do, but just to be 100% clear, this is behaviorally driven to avoid a slow drift and deviation from the water goal if not strict, but this isn't related to anything physiologically different in how the body treats:

 

1) 20ml of kombucha (or other) followed by 300ml of pure water and

2) 20ml of kombucha mixed in 300ml of water

 

Am I correct?

 

Thanks again!

 

Julien

Jeff Serven

Grey area. You could say that but the absorption rates of water change depending on what they are mixed with. For example espresso is certainly not adding to your hydration status although its mainly water. 

 

Do drift into the grey area. This leads you down the road of paralysis by analysis. Over thinking things that are of very low importance while losing focus on the important stuff. Drink your 1L of pure water then do whatever you want. Once you compromise once its all over, you will do it again very shortly. 

JAMES CLARK 245088
On 2/9/2016 at 10:02 AM, Jeff Serven said:

Grey area. You could say that but the absorption rates of water change depending on what they are mixed with. For example espresso is certainly not adding to your hydration status although its mainly water. 

 

Do drift into the grey area. This leads you down the road of paralysis by analysis. Over thinking things that are of very low importance while losing focus on the important stuff. Drink your 1L of pure water then do whatever you want. Once you compromise once its all over, you will do it again very shortly. 

Thanks for the specific here. For a while now (pre-Thrive) I counted all liquid in my water consumption. I was getting 150+ oz a day, but only 40-60 of it had been actual plain water.