This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Reverse leg lifts and windshield wipers

Started by Shellberight, February 6, 2016 · 11 Replies · 287 Views

Shellberight

When I progress to these exercises is it ok to do skin the cats to inverted hang pulls on rings and windshield wipers on a pull up bar with no back support until I get stall bars? I'm used to doing both exercises. Are they very different?

Romulo

HLL are VERY different with stall bars, unless you had your back pressed against a wall or something to stop your lats working. It is much more difficult to do it at the stall bars and you need more compression than when  doing from a pull-up bar or other alternatives, where you can deceive yourself by inclining a little back.

 

Is your signature updated? (it says MN/PE2) If so, there is still sometime before you get to HLL...

 

I didn´t understand your other point of relating this to skin the cats...

Shellberight

Hey Romulo

I mean SLPE9. Just looking for related exercises to do until I can do them on stall bars. In skin the cats you can keep legs straight and pull up to inverted hang.

Romulo

Sorry, I confounded RLL with HLL in the manna progressions.

MT Nordic

certainly windshield wipers on a bar will be better than nothing.  do them that way until you get your stall bars.  but do expect them to be much harder on stall bars.  It will still be helpful for developing the obliques.  there are also multiple posts on the forum to explain how to make a bar feel like a substitute for stall bars.

Shellberight

Thanks, I feel bar WWs mainly in the hip flexors rather than obliques but it's a useful exercise anyway.

How about pulls on rings from near-German hang (legs vertical when down, not angled ahead like in the full hang) to inverted hang? Do they hit the same muscles as RLLs? Did a longer set today and it seems they're good for grip strength at least ☺

Jon Douglas
Shellberight said:

Thanks, I feel bar WWs mainly in the hip flexors rather than obliques but it's a useful exercise anyway.

How about pulls on rings from near-German hang (legs vertical when down, not angled ahead like in the full hang) to inverted hang? Do they hit the same muscles as RLLs? Did a longer set today and it seems they're good for grip strength at least ☺

Don't think its possible to lift the legs this way without counterbalancing to some extent by piking your butt between the rings, at least to some extent. On stall bars you can brace your back against the bars at first, until you are comfortable enough to fully retract scaps and press upper arms into the bar. But without a brace of some sort you're going 5o compensate to some extent.

Thats not to say they're worthless, just that extra edge that makes them more productive for this particular purpose :) and if thats what you have right now, its what you have.

Before I had stall bar access I did these on a fence.

Shellberight

The top of my metal fence is about 2 mm thick ☺. I'll keep an eye out for one or something else in a playgrounds etc. Thanks for the idea, Jon

Gavin S

You can do headstand RLL if you don't have stall bars yet. Get into a headstand with head just in front of a wall (back to wall). Then pike the hips until you can touch your toes to the ground with straight legs.

Shellberight

Yeah I saw that was given as an option. A headstand like H1-PE2, I assume. It avoids the grip-training aspect, though.

ausswe

you get plenty of grip training from rc progressions.  doing the headstandvariation i found considerably harder but it really was beneficial working towards my press to handstand and general balance in a handstand.

Shellberight

I'm doing RC/PE2 (currently at 68 reps) and yes it and the iM are challenging for my grip. Having already done legless rope climbs pre-F1 I can appreciate a strong grip so I'm looking to build it up gradually to a point where it won't be a major limiting factor when I eventually get to climbing in Foundation. Looking ahead in F I can see myself progressing fast once I get past these strength endurance exercises in F1. On the other hand I'm unfortunately far away in my H work (working on iM2 now and undergrip dislocates later will surely take a long time to master) from having to worry about free or press handstands. It looks like I may not have other options but the headstand method when I get to that exercise though.