This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thrive and tendinitis relief

Started by Colm O'Shea, February 6, 2016 · 3 Replies · 183 Views

Colm O'Shea

Hi,

 

Not sure where to put this question so apologies if it's in the wrong sub-forum.

I used to climb regularly, and a few years ago developed chronic tendon problems (typical medial epicondyle stuff). Almost any pulling work sets them off. My inner elbows were flaring up again in late Dec. so I decided to stop training (barring leg work and some running) and let them settle down. It seemed like a good time to conduct a test: what effect would Thrive have on me if I focused just on nutrition and do a very minimal lower-body only workout? Well, I started Jan 4th and the results of the first month are in:

 

-Body composition: lost 7lbs (judging by the mirror/photos it's mostly fat).

-Psychological: Feel empowered and "accidentally" gave up alcohol (a beer or glass of wine on Sunday but that's it). 

-Surprise bonus: In the last week the tendinitis just... vanished. 

 

To be clear, I've paused training in the past to let the inflammation go down, but that only helps somewhat. It never goes away completely like it has over the past week. Does anyone have any insight into why this might be? I'm on Habit 10. 

 

LurkingFrog

I would guess most of the ways you are completing the tasks are helping to reduce systemic inflammation, allowing the tendons to actually heal. When I spend a weekend eating junk food like a tub of ice cream (my weakness) and I spend the next couple of days feeling like I've been beaten with a stick, quite apart from the generally feeling sick.

 

I noted the same result years ago when I went strict pale, which is very similar to our fist set of tasks. After several weeks, my random aches and pains disappeared. For one, before cleaning up my nutrition I could barely stand in the morning because my feet/achilles were sore though I didn't regularly work out at the time. If I start eating poorly for any sustained length of time, however, those aches and other issues come back.

Jeff Serven

Colm, 

Im glad that your experiencing so many benefits! Good for you. Low level chronic inflammation is one of those things that effects everything and once reduced really helps things like this. 

Jon Douglas

That's very cool. I'm loving how much of this is basically getting out of your bodys way so that it can operate how its meant to. Devouring these threads, no pun intended, thanks much Jeff :)