This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Grains v refined grains

Started by DouglasMN, February 5, 2016 · 5 Replies · 248 Views

DouglasMN

Hi Jeff,

 

I was looking for a little more guidance regarding grains in carbs 101. You say "We want to minimize or do away with refined sugar and grains in our kitchens," and then go on to recommend oats. Do you mean "refined sugar and refined grains" or "refined sugar and all grains?"

 

I eat whole grains every day, probably twice a day, so my diet definitely has a stake in the answer. I try to keep it varied, but definitely have included those with and without gluten. Oats, hulled barley, stone ground cornmeal bread, wild rice(my grandma was native and this always hits me right in the childhood), farro, quinoa, buckwheat, and rye all regularly make an appearance. 

 

I'd also like to lump in brown rice v white rice. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that switching from refined grains and rice to whole grains and brown rice was generally better because of the increased fiber, protein, and vitamin/mineral content. You advocate white rice in carbs 101, so I am trying to flush out some more of your thinking on this. If there is more coming in a later lesson, then no sweat. I'm in it to win it and will see you at the next stop. On the other hand, don't be afraid to hit me with references or a bit of science either. 

 

Cheers~

Sam Andersen

Great question.  I have been wondering the same thing.  Some times I like to take hard red wheat and do a rough grind of it.  I boil it and eat it with whole milk.  This is usually referred to cracked wheat.  I look forward to more guidance.  

Jeff Serven

Douglas, 

 

Good question. Oats are definitely a grain but they have enough positives and mitigate the downsides with the availability of gluten free ones and that is why I recommend them. The anti nutrient content is less than brown rice. Even then by the end of the course you will have difficulty eating them often(future step) so I really see oats as a 1-3 times a month thing in the diet and in that event I wouldn't worry about it. 

 

I am against grains as a source of anything but calories. The protein argument doesn't stand up when you have to eat 120g of carbs to get 25g of protein. To meet your minimum protein requirement you would be at an extremely high about of carbs in the day. I am against grains for the anti nutrient content as well.

 

I don't like to add steps in on people which is why Im not going to recommend you do this or do that. Keep doing what your doing and just meet the 6 consecutive days of each step and keep progressing further along and it will be less important if you have a slice of bread here and there. Thrive level 1 is about adding in all the optimal foods which leaves little or no room for the less than optimal ones. Later down the road after we have everything we need we will talk about what to get rid of first.  

DouglasMN

Jeff-

 

Fair enough. For now I'll just keep on keeping on. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend!

Joshua Daudelin

I have two questions pertaining to the carbs vs refined carbs. With regard to white vs brown rice I understand the negative antigen issue with brown rice but being that white rice is derived from brown rice (same grain, correct?) wouldn't white rice then be considered 'refined'? Fiber content in vegetables is considered beneficial, does the antigen content in brown rice outweigh the fiber benefit?

Lastly, rolled oats are all I've seen referenced - thoughts on steel cut oats? I used to eat daily post workout and have since eliminated for the time being looking solely to veg, fruit, potatoes, and rice for carb support.

Not posing an argument in any way, just trying to understand so as to adhere to the commitment.

Jeff Serven

Yes white rice can be classified as "refined" but filet mignon is "refined" cow looking through the same set of glasses. 

Generally speaking "unrefined" is better than "refined" but that isn't a hard and fast rule you can apply to anything. You have to look at things from all angels. 

Steel cut and rolled are both acceptable preparations.