This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice/guidance for trying to set up a GB study/workout group at my box

Started by Mike_B, February 5, 2016 · 10 Replies · 337 Views

Mike_B

Hi all,

 

Just a quick question: for a while now I've heard people around my box (Crossfit Gym) talking about wanting to do more mobility/GST (usually this comes after injury or a comp).  Personally, I enjoy GB, but would probably benefit from having more training buddies (more fun, more sociable).

 

I think all it would be is just a bunch of people getting together to follow the programme in open gym (free practice slots) - obviously nothing would be coached, and everyone would be following the standard programming, just in a group.

 

My intention was to test the water with this, and maybe get a group together (can't see it being more than 6 or so initially) - the idea would be to have a laptop to the side of the room signed into the F1 course (group members would only be able to see this during the sessions, and would not have login details or access to my account - if they want independent accounts they'd have to buy their own).  

 

They'd then work through the F1 elements for the day at their own pace, referring back to the laptop as and when needed for form videos etc.

Just wondered if any others had experience setting things like this up, any advice, and also (importantly) if anyone from GB is reading, could you confirm that this would be acceptable within the terms of use?

 

Many thanks!

 

Mike

Ravn

It's a bit of a grey area, and it would be good to get an opinion from Cory or Coach.

 

Strictly speaking I'm pretty sure this constitutes a violation of IPR, but on the other hand, someone would need to be in that group for a VERY long time to be able to glean the overall structure of the program. It is probably also a good introduction for people, who would eventually become GB customers themselves.

 

I have organised a GST group session loosely based on F1 on Saturdays in my climbing gym for a while now, and while the group members love/like it, they are fairly inconsistent overall, i.e. no "I will attend this session no matter what". I think I can conclude that the average/normal GB user is not average/normal in relation to the rest of the population!

Mike_B

Thanks Ravn - yeah, I think this will probably be how it goes, but even if one or two people signed up and started training seriously it'd be good I think - hopefully Coach or Cory will be patrolling at some point to give a steer on this one  :)

Ryan Bailey

I have had a few train with me for a day during a foundations workout. It is social, fun, very rewarding. They get frustrated, motivated, and want to start working on their mobility deficits. I then tell them to buy the course. It never fully works out for someone if they are not financially commited and if they are not physically and consistantly invested. There is no substitute for all that is offered once you become a member.

Keilani Gutierrez

it would depend on how helpful the videos would be to everyone. i have guys try to school me with a "exercise library" type POV in place of knowing their material at the gym all the time, they got a bunch of burpee variations but man what i'd give for them to do a pushup correctly. if you have guys like this, id keep the information to yourself. if you have people who can be guided, i still think the best way to teach is to one as an example and then ask them to do it and do corrections yourself.

you can get a lot of mileage out of mastering hollow holds, plank variations, single leg squat progressions in a group setting...that or do a follow along stretch or limbering and end with some shoulder dislocates if its upper body. you dont need videos to do that, pen/paper or mobile device and a few souls looking for some fascial liberation. :)

Mike_B

Ryan: yeah, quite - and I think that would be the aim: just to get to that point where a movement that looks really basic and you'll think you can fly through shows a deficit you didn't know was there - then I'd imagine they'd want to take this up for themselves, if they were interested.

 

Keilani - I take your point but 1) this would be about a bunch of people getting together to work through a programme that has been very beneficial for me, and might be fun to work on together 2) in terms of 'teaching' nothing of that kind is being proposed, certainly not from me (I'm in no position to be teaching anything) - the absolute maximum I (or anyone else in this setting) would ever do is look at another person's work, and if they notice something point it out and refer them back to the video and focus points.

Keilani Gutierrez

i know having your info in various peoples hands can get your account blocked. people who have made the courses available in some form or other breaching the disclosure agreement are permanently banned. this includes giving away acc info to multiple users with different IP's or making the courses available through torrents.


as for having a few eyes looking at the laptop / handheld device you have your stuff on that's allowed, just make sure you're signing in from your device and not leaving your account signed in on a gym or others persons computer whom can sign in once you've left.

this is just common sense, but if you're going to be using the videos openly with other users, i'd wait for an official word just so there isn't any confusion.

Ryan Bailey

In Mike_B's case specificially,

I personally believe after a friendly introduction, they need to buy the course. There is high potential for dilution of quality programing when casually trained in a group setting. Fun, I know, but distracting.

For example, I personally have told someone they had to buy thoracic bridge stretch series to do on their own, outside of us training together, if they were serious about addressing full, spine and upperbody improvements.

Same with foundation. If everyone in your group owned foundation, now that's a fun training environment. Just tell them to suck it up and join the foundation forum with us, we want to see their hinge rows and deck squats ;-)

Mike_B

I think that'd be the idea - they'd either be motivated enough after a few weeks to want to carry on and invest, or not.

Keegan

Yeah, I agree with Ryan, both from a "seriousness" standpoint and also from a legality standpoint. The terms of the course say that you can share the material with household family members (kids, spouse, etc...), but I think this would go well beyond those limitations.

Now, if you could get them all to purchase the courses and do them seriously, that could be fun!

Mike_B
Keegan said:

Yeah, I agree with Ryan, both from a "seriousness" standpoint and also from a legality standpoint. The terms of the course say that you can share the material with household family members (kids, spouse, etc...), but I think this would go well beyond those limitations.

Now, if you could get them all to purchase the courses and do them seriously, that could be fun!

If a number of people were to sign up that would for sure be the best outcome, and as I indicated in my reply to Ryan it wouldn't be working through the whole course, just initial looks at the materials for a few weeks to get them going. At this point however, the discussion may be somewhat academic, as I think a lot of people at the box are busy with other things at the moment...