This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Adding fat

Started by Andre737, February 4, 2016 · 5 Replies · 278 Views

Andre737

Hey Jeff,

do I also have to add a healthy fat when I'm having a fatty meat(e.g. a beef patty) for lunch?

Sometimes not that easy when you lunch out at a restaurant.

Today I made a 300gr beef patty with a spinach salad on the side, topped with an avacado,onions,olive oil and balsamico vinegar.

Jeff Serven

That sounds great! Yea, if its a fatty cut like a short rib then you cold count that as your fat. Using olive oil on the salad counts too.

Cameron Williams

Would this be true for rotisserie chicken as well? I often get a quarter rotisserie chicken from the supermarket deli as part of my lunch and I noticed it's quite fatty/greasy. Does this count as my lunch fat? Or should I not eat this sort of greasy chicken and aim for a healthier fat source?

Jeff Serven

Unless you are eating the skin and the dark meat I don't think I would count it. 

I don't know that I would say don't eat it because its greasy. If you have the luxury of time and budget I would say there are better choices but if you don't have time then stay with what you have. 

You could buy pasture raised chickens and cook them yourself. This way you could control the oil(not a vegetable oil) they are cooked in and when you are done with the meat use the bones for a broth. But, you may not have the time or budget for that stuff so don't worry about it if its not possible. Don't forget you are getting results for yourself and your are making progress. Don't cripple yourself with the "what if's" of the most optimal diet in the world.

Bojan Tomic
2 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Unless you are eating the skin and the dark meat I don't think I would count it. 

Since you mentioned skin, do you recommend eating it? 

Jeff Serven

If you like it. I personally only like it when its crispy from the broiler/oven. Nutritional there is nothing wrong with it. Some may say there is nutritional value to it.