This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Miso + Veggie soup

Started by Romain, February 4, 2016 · 6 Replies · 282 Views

Romain

Hi,

 

I usually come home quite late and don't want to eat a big dinner just before going to bed.

What I do is :

 

- eat some fruits (banana/apples...) or homemade bars (dates /cashew / flaxseed...) on my way back home (just after ballet session If I have one or just after work if I had to work crazy hours)

 

- Cook and eat  a big miso soup with veggie.

          --> I put some veggies in boiling water (ex: Swiss Chards or cauliflower or...)

          --> Then I let it cool down a bit and add some unpasteurized Miso + "wakame" alguae + sesame seeds.

 

 

I just would like your opinion on this.

Is eating too much miso a bad thing ?

 

Jeff Serven

Romain, 

 

From what I gathered you pretty much use a vegetarian diet to hide behind but your just a junk food eater. Ditch the dates, soy(miso) and carb drinks.

 

You are on Step 3

1) What are you eating in the AM for your breakfast fat? 

2) Besides Miso soup what are you eating for dinner vegetables? 

Romain

Hi Jeff,

 

I have a sweet mouth indeed but I would not call myself a "junk food eater".

I try my best to avoid processed food be it on an omnivore or vegetarian diet (don't eat candies,only drink water and tea without added sugar, pizza/french fries and the sort are rarely on the menu...).

But yes I probably eat too many carbs if that's what you wanted to say and I am far from an optimal diet.

 

1)

- One handfull of soaked nuts (it varies : cashew / almonds / pecan / walnuts...)

- or coconut oil

- or hemp oil

- or chia seeds

I plan on adding eggs soon.

 

2) Steamed seasonal vegetables (carrots/ cauliflower / leek/ celery...)

Jeff Serven

Agree to disagree. 

 

I like your breakfast fats. Good job and let me know how it goes with the eggs. 

 

Good choice on the veggies too but, change it up before you burn em' out. 

Romain
Jeff Serven said:

Agree to disagree. 

 

I like your breakfast fats. Good job and let me know how it goes with the eggs. 

 

Good choice on the veggies too but, change it up before you burn em' out. 

Hi Jeff,

 

You got me thinking a lot lately. And I mean a lot !

It's not easy for me to explain my thoughts in English but I will try:

 

- I was frustrated when you said I was a junk food eater because, even with my emotional bingings (chocolate & lots of fruits in order to feel full) I am the healthiest among my co-workers, friends and family. My entourage don't care at all about what they eat and don't train (or just 2-3 h max per week)

 

- BUT I was looking at the wrong examples.

I should not compare myself to unhealthy and inactive people. I should compare myself to higher standards.

That means Coach Sommer standards in terms of training and yours in terms of nutrition.

 

- And then the truth hit me : by these standards yes I am unhealthy (and my strength & mobility suck btw haha).

I am not happy with my results despite really trying my best (stress & loneliness don't help but that's another subject).

 

- I really want to be the best version of myself so I am willing to follow your advices.

First step is the Breakfast : I had 3 eggs this morning with greens.

I will add full fat cottage cheese & raw goat/ewe cheese next week.

I then plan on adding fish (salmon/trout...)

 

For the rest of the day I will, for now, keep what I have (quinoa + lentils / beans + rice...). That might change as well but I have food stock that I don't want to throw away.

 

Note : as regards my ethical stand on nutrition : 1) I liked your link about the use of animals in a permaculture design 2) how can I pretend to care about the environment if I can't take care of me first ? 3) I will choose organic/free range/ wild sources of animal products.

I will take it one step at a time because after 3 years on a close to vegan diet it's not easy for me to change completely.

Romain

I guess I will have to make room for dairy and fish in this bad boy ^^

post-3557-0-16938800-1454873868_thumb.jp

Jeff Serven

Good stuff Romain!

Lots to address here so if I forget something let me know.

I think your going down the right track when you say you are comparing yourself to the wrong people. By comparison to Homer Simpson we are all healthy. Coach has a lot of experience as a real Coach (like 30 years or something) and does a really good job at challenging you at your level. I've spent a decent amount of time in his gym to see him treat athletes of different capabilities differently. This is the true sign of a "Coach" but Im going off on a tangent here. Do your F1, H1 and Thrive and use your peers here as people to compete with and compare to. Find people in the same step or level.

Dude your are never going to have any friends with a fridge like that! Where are the steaks? I would never come over to your house. Wait until you see the pics of my fridge later in the course. I have damn near a whole cow in there.

All jokes aside, being the best version of yourself is what its all about. I think by you contemplating eating fish and possibly meat is you really challenging yourself to be exactly that. If you chose not to eat meat then oh well but you are seeking out and trying out ways to make you better.

Im glad that you read the permaculture design link.

post-1517-0-87229900-1454884922_thumb.jp