This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on the harder elements

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, February 4, 2016 · 3 Replies · 187 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Regarding the Elevated Thoracic Bridge, the ETB pushups, hip taps, and wall walks, my thoracic mobility is such that I'm having to use the regressions to try and target my upper back to a greater degree but in doing this I still feel my lower back pretty intensely. I'm wondering how to target my upper back so that it gets a better stretch (as a lot of my work on these elements has been that of strength and not geared towards flexibility) more directly without engaging my lower back (because I hear Coach say we're not to be focusing on that).

 

The same goes for the bridge wall walks. I can go to the floor without issue on this exercise but I feel as though it's largely a strength element and again I feel it strongly in my lower back not in my upper back (unless I push my chest towards the wall at the bottom position when my hands are on the floor), yet I don't feel like that's the targeted area for this element. Am I correct in my thinking?

 

I'm just wondering about regressions for these elements as my upper back has been the culprit for a lot of shoulder pain I've been having over the past year and I'm really trying to focus in on this issue and increase my flexibility (the stretches I've been doing daily and outside of GB have really helped but only so much).

 

As an added thought, on the theraband arch ups when we're pulling down is it correct to pull down with the upper back/chest? Coach says not to pull with the lats so in a nuanced way I tried to pull with my chest and upper back and felt a stretch, but wasn't sure if this was correct. 

 

A lot to unpack here, sorry, my upper back is my prime trouble spot so I've got a lot to work on. 

 

Thanks in advance.

Keilani Gutierrez

Daniel, upto what Foundation Course do you currently have? there's a stretch in HBP - 15im that should be added to your shoulder limbering before the elevated bridges, i think. i've seen your overhead mobility before and i recommend it since im on the same boat farther down the river, so to speak.

 

this stretch has exposed a nasty line in my pec that has completely changed my cold flexibility for shoulder flexion, extension and dislocates.

 

add it, keep on keeping on and push that chest out. its never bad to over state to use your glutes contracted maximally to focus more stretch in the quads and decompress the lumbar spine.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Got it. I'll keep on doing what I am. Yeah, I do a pec minor stretch in the routine my PT gave me. It sucks, but sucks so good. I'll remember to engage the quads quite a lot when doing the bridge work to help alleviate to lower back (while also managing to engage the upper back, shall be interesting to see how long it takes before I collapse on the floor).

Keilani Gutierrez
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Got it. I'll keep on doing what I am. Yeah, I do a pec minor stretch in the routine my PT gave me. It sucks, but sucks so good. I'll remember to engage the quads quite a lot when doing the bridge work to help alleviate to lower back (while also managing to engage the upper back, shall be interesting to see how long it takes before I collapse on the floor).

from the cramps i've been getting every once in a while, not long. :P i'll go for gold on the floor stretches, but keep the bridge time as is at 60s.

btw, as for the prone arch pulls, do what you need to feel it all in the back / chest. engage the glutes before the pull and really stick that chest out. it sucks at first but itll get better!