This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Any veggie not recommended to eat raw?

Started by julien, February 3, 2016 · 3 Replies · 294 Views

julien

Jeff: if that's not the right step to ask these details yet, please don't hesitate to say so!

 

I may be more careful on this issue since my wife was told to stop eating kale in a raw state by her endocrinologist, but I wanted to check with you what your opinion was around the whole "you need to cook cruciferous veggies or you'll get issues with your thyroid function" theme.

 

I see you're including kale in the list of good veggies, so interested in your take on this, along with if broccoli, cabbage or even zucchinis are also ok to eat raw in your opinion.

 

If there are any other veggies or groups best avoided raw that are not intuitively avoided by most people (potatoes seem a no-go raw, but I don't think many people would try them raw either ;-), it might be useful to list them as well :-)

 

Julien

Boki

This one depends on a person. Some people have issues with digesting certain raw vegetables and could also have health issues like impaired thyroid function that you already mentioned. All vegetables are good on paper, but it's up to you to listen to your body and decide whether something is good for you.

Jeff Serven

Julien, 

 

This is a good question for an entirely different reason that Boki addressed. Everyone is a little different and some people have specific issues like a thyroid or something else. Her Endo has a way better grasp on her situation than I do so I would defer to his judgment. 

 

I cant say I agree that eating raw cruciferous veggies is going to cause thyroid disfunction in people without a pre-existing condition. 

 

​I think they are perfectly fine to eat raw. In my opinion the more someone has difficulty with raw vegetables the worse shape their gut is in and the only way to repopulate the "good" bacteria and fix lining issues is to eat vegetables (raw and coked). 

 

​In Thrive potatoes count as a starch and should definitely be cooked.

julien

Good to know your opinion on that! I see no ill effects when eating all these raw myself, but became weary of them after reading a lot of stuff advising against.

 

Yes, my wife obviously has other issues that interplay and she needs to follow her endo's instructions, but that got me thinking there might have been something to what I was reading for the broader population. Glad to know I don't need to worry :-)

 

Hoy, yes, I didn't think about eating the potatoes raw ;-)