This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Using previously mastered elements for warmup and conditioning?

Started by lucashardie, February 2, 2016 · 9 Replies · 415 Views

lucashardie

Just wondering if this is a good idea. I'm trying to work in different ways that I can maintain previously mastered elements. For example; front lever today consisted of Hollow Rocks for warmup SBIH for main work then body levers for a couple drop sets. Should I just be keeping the body levers in the warmup or is this type of protocol acceptable also?

Alessandro Mainente

I suggest a different type of warm up depending on the element you are training. I made this choice  because some element are a part of the same family but on a different plain isolating more muscles than other , while other work on a similar plain always. let me make an example.

 

HBP: i'm training the hspu. since I know that i'll do some planche horizontal press in the nearly future I need to maintain my horizontal press with PPP and my dip. so I'll use these element for my warm up. In the future when i'll work on HBP i'm training all the plains in the same exercise so ideally i do not need a warm up , i prefer to call it a specific activation so i can choose to do 10 chest roll (but maybe they are too much if you are training some HBP specific elements) or 1 dipping variatio + 1 vertical push variation + 1 planche horizontal push variation.

 

Planche: on planche you are working the same plain every time so the previous mastered element should be used as warm up plus basic alignment with elbow plank.

 

Front Lever: also here we are working on same plain but i usually hold a set of the basic alignment so 60''  HBhold plus the last mastered element.

 

Side lever: we are working different patterns also here. so if you are under SE you will train something for spine side flexion, spine rotation , back extension and the last SE mastered

 

RC: the last element mastered

 

Manna: depends where you are. when you will be on SE, you will do in a row HLL, L-sit variation, straddle L variation and MSH variation.

Romulo

If this doesn´t become a sticky, I need to copy and paste it to my notebook  :)

Grazie Alessandro.

lucashardie

Great response Alessandro! Thank you, that really helps!

DouglasMN

Alessandro -

 

Thank you, this was immensely helpful. Could I get a little more guidance on SL warmup? I just moved on to SE1, but had only been warming up with a set of RLL in a headstand against the wall. This should have me covered for back extension, but I'm looking for good options for spine rotation and side flexion. Where do Windshield Wipers fit in and what else might you include from the PEs specifically besides RLL?

Alessandro Mainente

Please post the question in the correct F4 section. I will not talk here about about elements of different courses.

Keilani Gutierrez

if you're still working on F1 and looking for the smootest path out of it, your best bang for your buck in terms of getting the most out of your training is locked behind consistently creating the flexibility and mobility that allows you to finish your current strength progressions with good form and developing some endurance in those positions.

knowing what elements to keep in your warm up starts becoming important once you've begun entering F2 territory.

as for F1 pertainin to upper body, focus on stretching your shoulders in all planes of motion (chest / pec stretch, lat stretches, trap stretches) this covers your need for loosening up the rotator cuff and the structures around it and is included throughout a few of the Integrated mobility streams like RC, HBP, HS. there's only one stretch i'd include from HBP prematurely and its because everyone has such tight pecs, alex and few others have recommended it as a tool, hbp im 15.

core: thinking in terms of bent body strength and straight body strength helps. front lever is with our body held straight, you'll see more of this straight body stuff in H1 too, manna is bent, etc. obliques help us twist and also flex our body sideways. think pe2 (twist) and pe3 (arch). the other part is the lower back which involves all the back extensions and leg lifts.

legs: front split, middle split, SLS, Mn, H2 iM, sPL iM takes care of our lower body.

knowing it is helpful yes but not something you need to get out of F1. its something you learn to do in the process. like keeping the SLS pe iM's in your daily warm up once they've been mastered. good to know, yet you still need to master it all to be able to benefit from that as your lower body warm up.

Mono-Inverted

I would like to add something to what Alessandro said, also in RC you want to maintain or improve your horizontal pulling strength also, so aside from some vertical element add RC pe4/5

:)

Paul Gray
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:27 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I suggest a different type of warm up depending on the element you are training. I made this choice  because some element are a part of the same family but on a different plain isolating more muscles than other , while other work on a similar plain always. let me make an example.

RC: the last element mastered

 

Hi Alessandro

Is there any merit for RC in keeping in the 60s chin hang for Time Under Tension and then the last element mastered?  I currently do 60s chin hang and then go straight to my current wide pull ups....

P.S thanks for your amazing posts!

Alessandro Mainente

if you are doing pullup then you can do a rows variation and the last one mastered, the rowing variation targets enougn the elbows flexors, so it is a good activation.