This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake Good Morning Form Check

Started by Andreas Collberg, February 1, 2016 · 6 Replies · 253 Views

Andreas Collberg

Hi!

 

I´m currently doing this exercise on two yoga blocks because of my stiff adductors. What do you think about the form? Should I sit on more blocks in order to get a flatter back or should I keep working on two blocks?

 

One other question about the middle split exercises: Is it safe to do some extra of the exercises from the middlesplit program during the weekdays, for example put in some Iso middle holds for 3 or 4 days during the week? Or is it to much?

 

Video:

 

 

Thanks.

Ryan Bailey

Hi Andreas, I am wanting to know the answer to your question as well. I am also interested in knowing what angle is recommended (example 45 degrees?) prior to being able to sit on the floor and have an effective stretch towards the pancake. I would think extra iso's during the week would be fine if you have a good response, but others will give you better feedback, as I sort of suck with this position. Looks like you are doing well!

trw

You definitely need a flatter back. Look at the angle between your lumbar spine and legs as you go down. At a certain point your lower back stops moving and the rest of your ROM comes from hunching your thoracic spine, which is not real ROM, just the illusion of it. If you need to sit on a higher surface to maintain your arch than sit higher. Think also of looking forward with your head instead of down. Looking down tends to cue the rest of the spine to curve downward. Focus on folding at the hip only.

 

You can add in some extra work during the week. Daily limbering is highly recommended. Just keep it at a lower intensity than hard stretch days.

Andreas Collberg

Thank you for the great explanations trw, will keep that in mind. My lower back is definitely really tight, have you guys got any recommendations on stretch exercises specifically for the lower back or will the lower back become looser when the adductor muscles is getting more loose? 

trw

It's not tight lumbar that's the issue here but tight adductors. You want the lower back to feel a bit tight as you strive to maintain anterior hip tilt in the good mornings.

 

But anyway, do you have the other stretch courses? I find the front split course loosens up my lower back quite a bit.

BrettCross

Do you have H2? The pHS PE1>iM has done a remarkable job of getting my lower back/hips moving. I haven't tried it yet but pHS PE4>iM appears like it would be an ideal complement to pancake good mornings. Or Mn SE3>I'm if you have F2.

A strong focus on active abdominals in forward bends helps me get more movement/stretch in the hips as opposed to my back.

Andreas Collberg

Thank you guys, will try out those exercises.