So I have no gymnastic rings. Despite not having them, I feel they'll be extremely useful for rowing, especially hinge rows. So someone in GB mentioned using towels as a substitute until I can get rings, but the grip is what kills me in this strength exercise. So I tried a very mediocre, uh, "substitute" for rings in the form of duck tape rolls with rope tied around them to simulate gymnastic rings and straps. When I tried them, the rows were much more forgiving especially on my grip. Anyone know why rings are easier on grip strength than towels? I need a new "tool substitute" for rings until I can buy my own, and towels are making it harder for me to progress.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Hinge row gymnastic rings vs other "equipment"
Started by Jesse Kim, February 1, 2016 · 5 Replies · 310 Views
They're just a lot easier to grip because they're designed for gripping. Shape, diameter, material, and texture make quite a difference. Just go the hardware store and piece together some PVC based "rings" with some basic straps; use those until you can buy xtreme rings, which are, in all honesty, an absolutely amazing investment.
Buy about 12 inches of 1 inch diameter plumbing pipe, the common stuff used in your house to carry the waste water from your bath, sink etc. Cut the pipe in half so its wide enough to grip comfortably and thread the rope through it and loop that over whatever you've got to hang from, tree branch, doorway pull up bar etc. If you need more grip use some of the grip tape for tennis racquet handles on the pipe.
Also, you can get rings for working out with in Amazon for $25 or less. That's what I did.
If I planned on doing the rings program, I'd upgrade, but so far my Amazon rings have been doing fine for me in foundation.
You'll definitely see the benefits using proper rings. When I started and was trying the exercises out
I used 2 ropes with loops tied into then for RC/PE1 and they were very very hard doing them with
rope. The rope would really bite into the hands making it very uncomfortable and causing pain.
Definitely invest in some rings.
On 2/29/2016 at 0:14 PM, Greg White said:Buy about 12 inches of 1 inch diameter plumbing pipe, the common stuff used in your house to carry the waste water from your bath, sink etc. Cut the pipe in half so its wide enough to grip comfortably and thread the rope through it and loop that over whatever you've got to hang from, tree branch, doorway pull up bar etc. If you need more grip use some of the grip tape for tennis racquet handles on the pipe.
Just to add to this definitely invest in rings.Initially i bought the Amazon made in china plastic type. They will do the job but then i invested in some wooden ply rings and the difference is huge.