This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Buckwheat as source of carb, ok or not?

Started by julien, January 30, 2016 · 4 Replies · 232 Views

julien

Hi Jeff, we eat a lot of buckwheat at home both for its nutrition profile but also because our kids just love the "crepes" we're making typical of the French region I grew up in :-) Easy to do and a pleasure to eat for them so they don't miss pasta, pizza, etc...

I guess buckwheat being similar to oats makes it ok as a source of carb but just wanted to check in case there is a negative aspect to buckwheat I am not aware of!

Many thanks!

Julien

Jeff Serven

Julien,

 

Share the Crepes recipe. I'm curious.  

 

At this step in the game it only asks that you consume a veggie with dinner so if you eat a crepe with that then its all good. 

 

I don't know that I would say Buckwheat is "heathy" but I also would not lump it in with white bread(un healthy). For now keep on with the Crepes. There is a lot worse things you could be doing. This topic is touching on a later step and thats why I am going to be brief for now. When you get to that step we will go over it then. I almost moved this post to that step but if I did you wouldn't be able to see my response until you got there.

 

Cheers,

Jeff

julien

Hi Jeff and many thanks for the very quick reply :-)

 

The recipe is dead simple and I found one in English that is similar to what we do: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/brittany-galette

 

Basically, you mix water with buckwheat flour (we get it organic) and salt, and you cook a thin pancake in a buttered pan. No nasties inside ;-) The traditional way of eating it is to fill them with 1 egg, some grated cheese and some ham, but since we can't find good ham which doesn't cost more than a great steak (for 4 tiny slices...) here in Sydney, we usually go with only egg and cheese ;-)

 

I'll wait for the right time in the program before asking more questions then: a couple of weeks won't change much and I'll probably bug you with pointed questions if buckwheat is on your "not optimal" list  :icon_twisted:

Jeff Serven

Im gonna try it one of these Sundays. Looks cool! Thanks for sharing. 

 

I don't mean to be rude by not answering your question completely I just don't want to jump ahead. 

 

"Not optimal" is a slippery slope! Compared to wild caught salmon and broccoli everything is "not optimal" so its important for long term heath that we maintain some perspective on things and apply logic to the situation. In less than 2 months time from now you will have completed Thrive and as long as you maintain those basic (most important) steps you provide the room to add in those non optimal foods that will inevitably come up. This is the whole premise of thrive, do the most bang for your buck steps and allow a little freedom to indulge so that in 1, 2, 5 years down the road you are still on the program and haven't washed out.

 

This isn't the answer people ever want to hear. People believe the more complicated things are the more effective they are. We provide the minimum inputs for maximum outputs. Not the other way around. 

 

Chat again about this in a later step!

julien

All good with me and I used "not optimal" in a very light way, my goals are quite humble at this stage :-)