This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Butterfly

Started by Travis Cornwell, January 30, 2016 · 6 Replies · 276 Views

Travis Cornwell

During the butterfly stretch I experienced some popping similar to bubble wrap in my groningen on both sides near the public bone. I stopped doing the butterfly stretch felt no pain only heard the popping. I was probably halfway through the stretch video continued and had virtually no pain the entire time. This happened two days ago and I have noticed mild inflammation but nothing serious. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar and is this something I should be concerned with?

Jon Douglas

I have had the occasional release in this way during stretching, and have a spot at the top of my hamstrings that seems prone to it in pancake, especially when i make a point of maintaining anterior pelvic tilt. As long as it is painless, gets slightly better over time and acts as a release rather than grinding noises with no improvement, generally there is nothing to worry about. Your milage may vary and there may be better guidelines that a qualified practitioner may add to these, i am just going from experience.

The most noticable one i have had was in lower traps after doing a couple days activation work to correct handstand bad habits. It was audible and the difference was immediate and significant.

Jon Burdach

Hi Travis,

The same thing happened to me today on one side. At first I was worried I had damaged something but then my hip actually felt better and moved more freely. Now about 12h later it is slightly sore but still generally feels better. How did you end up? Did it happen again or cause any issues?

Alessandro Mainente

Jon it is normal to feel a bit sore. it is a common opinion think that stretch it is not a training, what? it trains the brain by far more than the normal workout.

Jon Burdach

Thanks Alessandro. I guess I was just concerned about the 'pop' more than anything. While in butterfly my left hip 'popped' significantly while pressing my knees down toward the floor. It is feeling fine now after a couple of days but was a little sore and actually felt somewhat better shortly after it had happened.

 

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Same as me, tissue adhesion with good probability, I waas a bit scared in the past but as you progress the starting range of motion will improve and you won't feel any pops anymore.

Jon Burdach

It actually felt like some adhesions came unstuck as it popped so guessing that is what it was.

Thanks for the reply