This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fat 101: Oils and fats to cook with?

Started by Stelaki8, January 28, 2016 · 8 Replies · 321 Views

Stelaki8

After reading through Fat 101, my understanding is to use olive oil as a dressing and coconut oil for cooking due to it's higher smoke point.  I have primarily cooked with olive oil in the past due to flavor.  What are other options for frying and sauteing?  Coconut flavored eggs did not go over well will the family?

 

I'm going to go out and buy some ghee any other suggestions?

 

 

trw

Butter, baby. Ideally from a grassfed cow.

fnp

I would not use Olive oil for cooking. If you take healthy olive oil (native/virgin/cold-pressed) and cook with that, the otherwise good ingredients can develop into toxic connections, so far as i know.

If not butter, ghee (clarified butter) seems also to be a good idea, concerning taste. Furthermore, its very easy to clarify butter yourself. And through the process of skimming you get tasty whey as a byproduct.

Jeff Serven

Gotta go with TRW on this one "butter baby"

 

Unless you are avoiding butter for a specific reason I would pass on Ghee. It doest add nearly the flavor butter does. 

Stelaki8

Kerrygold it is then, thanks everyone!

Cecily Fuhr

Anyone else tried tea seed oil? It's the main cooking oil used in Hunan province -  a very olive-oil-ish lipid profile (88% monounsaturated oleic acid, lots of Vitamin E), but the smoke point is a ferocious 485°F/252°C. It doesn't have a strong flavor, either, so it's great for things like stirfry when ghee wouldn't be quite the thing. Amazon has 500ml bottles of organic, cold-pressed, extra-virgin oil for $14.99 a bottle (even cheaper, and with Prime shipping, if you buy a 3-pack).

For everything other than high-temperature stirfry, though, I'm Team Butter 4 Life. :)

Norberto Munoz

I didn't see grapeseed oil on the list. I use it to cook since I understand that this one can handle very high temperatures. Is it OK to cook with grapeseed oil?

Ghazi Jeiroudi

Might be slightly off-topic but does anyone know if there's an "ideal" way (nutritionally speaking) to cook eggs? ie, Sunnsy-side up, Scrambled ...etc? Does the style you prepare eggs in make any difference nutritionally?

Jeff Serven

Ghazi,

there are alleged benefits of each one but I could play devils advocate to them all. Don't get caught up in the dogma of "the perfect way to cook or eat X" it's rarely more than hype. 

Best of luck,

jeff