This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3

Started by Mike_B, January 25, 2016 · 11 Replies · 235 Views

Mike_B

Hi all,

Last one for this round of updates - I'm at a mid-point between two weeks of progression - supposed to go from 2reps to four reps but I'm finding that I have to go via 3 :)

Refinements on sPL/PE5 have helped with this - as always thanks for any advice :)

Cole Dano

That last rep was pretty questionable, so don't go past 3 reps until the form get a bit more solid.

 

There are two major issues, one body line seriously deteriorates, 1st rep was reasonable last rep was arched like roman architecture. 

 

Second issue is the lean is not quite enough. at the bottom of the rep the elbow needs to be any amount in front of the wrist, not over it.

 

I would personally first focus on the body line, letting the lean be where it is. Once you can do all 3 reps with good body line then go back and start to work the lean. That tiny bit more makes all the difference.

Mike_B

Will do - many thanks!

Mike_B

Quick question: comparing the form videos for HBP/PE3 (pseudo planche push up) and sPL/PE5 (pseudo planche lean) - it might be the angle but I seem to see that the body line isn't as strict on the HBP/PE3 as it is for sPL/PE5 (feet don't look as extended, just onto toes - lead angle looks the same but hips look more piked).

There is a difference in the film angle, so I just wanted to check - am I perceiving this correctly, or is HBP/PE3 in fact sPL/PE5 with push ups instead of a hold?

 

Thanks!

Cole Dano

Ideally they are the same, that's what you want to strive for.

 

I just noticed you had a slider under your feet in the PPPu, no need for that at all,

Mike_B

Thanks Cole - but re: the slider - if PPPu is just PPL with a press-up, doesn't it make sense to use a slider to get into that position, if I'm going entering the lean in the same way? It's just that I saw it in the PPL video and have found it helpful there...

Cole Dano

You're making it harder than it needs to be, you don't need a slider to set the lean, the purpose of the slider in PLL is to prevent using the feet for assistance. In any case your compromised body line indicates that even if using a slider were part of PPPu, you're not there yet.

 

This is a hard element, don't make it worse.

Mike_B

Gotcha - thanks for the explanation!

Cole Dano

Thanks for listening. :)

Mike_B

Ok, so I've tried to focus on these points in the latest edition - not extending the lean until I focus on other issues (i.e. prevention of lower back arching, elbow in front of wrist at bottom of rep, feet not on slider).  I also noticed a new video with Orench and another athelete demoing in my PRO+ view - I've tried to set up as they do in the video.

I was able to go 3/4/4/4/3 with this form today - far from perfect I'm sure, and the lean needs work, but hopefully going in the right direction.

 

As always any comments gratefully received! :)

 

https://youtu.be/PdpTqEhWNrA

Jon Douglas

That arch immediately draws the eye :) that is whats compromising your overall form most.

I would take a moment to set before you get into it-- it looked there almost as if you fell into that first rep, and then arched/sagged as you killed the momentum. Reps could stand to be a touch slower and turnaround point top and bottom; not looking for a 5 second pause or anything but you're bouncing just a bit there and relying on the stretch reflex. This is a bad habit to correct early :)

On track; little bit of tightening up the screws to be done but you're improving each check :)

Mike_B

Thanks - Yeah I was a little trigger happy with that first rep, which threw the arch in - I'll work on slowing this down, which should help tighten everything globally I'm guessing.