This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE11: Bulgarian Pull Ups Form Check

Started by bailey1983, January 25, 2016 · 8 Replies · 280 Views

bailey1983

This is my first day and 3 set of doing Bulgarian Pull Ups. I wanted to get a form check on this.  Personally I believe I'm not pulling enough with  my scaps retracted to get my arms perfectly inline with my torso.  That is my personal assessment, but I wanted to receive some more professional input. 

 

This is my first time posting, but I believe the video will be restricted to all parties unless they have the below link. 

 

NOTE:  You will notice my shoulder injury on my right side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

In the ideal situation elbows should be in line with upper body. in your case elbows are tilted backward while  hands are moving forward compared to shoulders position. it is the same deficit of behind the back military press. it is a typical sign of lack of balance on shoulders girdle. how is your progress on bridge and H1 mobility?

bailey1983

I have been doing the T-Bridge Stretch Series as well for 9 months.  Attached is my current progress and yes, there is room for improvement but SOO much better than a year ago.

 

For H1 mobility, any passive flexibility (extension, flexion, abduction) I feel like I have good ROM.  I can do dislocates (overgrip) with thumbs extended touching my hips. If we move to active ROM, then we got issues in flexion which would translate it my Bulgarian pull ups.  Correct?

 

post-7856-0-76319100-1453774344_thumb.jp

Alessandro Mainente

exactly. during the pullup the stabilization of shoulders girdle is active but not seriously under control because you are focusing on something else. on the other side lats flyes are a good exercise for upper back stabilization under tension.

Bruce Bailey

Side lat flyes were a great idea and I do a little mobilization before rolling into these.  I believe the form is MUCH better on the first 2 (I could pull a little higher), but the last one I end the movement pulling with the lats due to fatigue.  That's my assessment.  

Alessandro, what are your thoughts, am I heading in the right direction?

 

 

Bruce Bailey

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

1. With these pull ups, you don't have to use false grip. If you do use false grip the additional strength you gain will be helpful later.

2. Pull your hands apart further before pull your bodyweight up, and do your best to keep your hands further apart for the duration of the repetition. You may need to lower your rings.

Coach Sommer

Do not use false grip for RC/PE11.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

As Coach says no false grip. You'll strengthen the false grip but reduce your ROM in the pull; first things first :)

With these i always think of pushing my elbows out and down first, then pulling my forearms vertically down from them. This cue seems to help me keep a good arm position relative to torso.