This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE6 bent arm chin hang

Started by mrobertweiss, January 22, 2016 · 2 Replies · 256 Views

mrobertweiss

I've  had trouble with this one, and have read various routes others have taken to master this  at 60 seconds. There have been moderator criticisms about increasing the rest periods, or altering the incremental changes, for the usual reasons. I think this is actually an important exercise that I would really like to master fully.On a good day I can actually do a legless rope climb without kipping, but not in a  proper L-sit; I can tell I am not really strong enough to be consistent or have proper form at this point.

 

I was unable to progress from  5x36 , to 4x48( week 9) by repeating the entire block 2, multiple times , for a period of some months. I could increase the 5X times by   using very small increments of perhaps 4 seconds, rather than  in 12 second increments at less rounds ( e g 4x48). In other words, ok at 5x40, but unable to properly complete 4x48. Time under tension here is about equivalent, but I just could not complete 4x48 (or more than 5x40)without increasing the rest period beyond 30 seconds for the lat stretch. I could grease the groove, and do  4 or 5   60"holds spread out through a given day, perhaps 12 hours, or so.  I just wasn't making progress doing 5 sets with only a rest of 30 " mobility stretch ; nowhere near 60 " of time under tension  per round.

 

So with regret and frustration I completed all of RC in foundation 2, to PE14, and am returning to PE6. Does anyone have a tweak to the increments that worked for them, other than  systematically increasing the rest periods, and then dialing back down those rest times? because that is all I have left. I am also going to try and lose 10 pounds, but I am not really far off ideal weight at this point, 185, 5'10".. It won't  hurt, but I am not sure that is  the root of the problem.

DBeckerman

For me I felt increasing rest time doesn't work, mainly due to the psychology of it. I found small increments worked best. Even if it is 1 second. Sometimes I have had to just stay on a weeks work volume for the whole 4 weeks.

~Atticus

This is what I did with RC/PE6.

 

1. First of all, have a timer than can give you 2 splits. (Unless of course you have a timer that is visible to you and you can witness the progression of time.)

 

You want to set your first split at a time that's relatively comfortable for you but not too easy. You want to set your second split at the mastery time of whatever level you're currently at.

 

So, for example, I'm still at 5x60s but trying to bring down my rest time to about 45s after the lat stretches. (I have now set my first split at 40s b'se at my level I can do 40s comfortably. My second split is at 60s.)

 

I discovered that this made a HUGE difference (i.e., having 2 split times) in terms of my being able to do this workout.  I'm not being jocular when I say that it became slightly easier.

 

2. The second thing I did was to progress the total time under tension for each workout by 3s.

 

Say you have 2 days of doing PE6.  On one day you do 4x40s.  That equates to 160s.  You next workout could be 1x43s, 3x40s.  You'd have increased the time by 3s.

 

I just decided on 3s because it was what my body could handle. If your body can handle bigger increments, then by all means go for those.

 

Because I increased my increments by only 3s, and I was training PE6 only 2 times a week, it meant that I stayed on it for a good period of time.  But I'm now quite strong in PE6, and I can do 5x40s without really breaking a sweat, and I'm not really bragging, but that's just how things became after doing it for about 8 months.

 

** We might need to move this discussion to F1 Forums for others to see.