This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Make up workouts?

Started by Ben G, January 21, 2016 · 7 Replies · 244 Views

Ben G

I've missed my last couple of workouts because I've been sick. Sore throat, bad sleep, headache, generally run down. I'm feeling better, should I try to make up my missed workouts or just pick up where I'm at in the week? I've missed F1a and F1b on Monday and Tuesday, but could probably catch up by doing F7 Thursday and Saturday. I sometimes do F7 if I miss a workout due to work, life, etc...

Now that I've asked the question I suspect that this is a bad idea, but advice is appreciated.

Keilani Gutierrez

nothing wrong taking a break until you're recovered, then once you're good start up at a lower volume like that weeks deload schedule and work your way back upto the volume you were at before you were sick without incurring on the same scenario that got you sick in the first place.

props to ya! hope you get better soon. :)

edit: if you miss your workout make an analisis of why it happened. did you eat little? not sleep much? sick, as you are experiencing? work / responsibilities? all valid questions. just know that if you're missing your workout because life, dont feel bad about taking a step back to recover. if on the other hand, you have all the resources to move forward and all that is needed is commitment, to follow through then you aren't taking your training seriously.

Cole Dano

If you missed due to illness, then doing as mentioned above, it's generally best to roll back the template a little to allow for a solid recovery. You'll know when you do your next workout how much. And don't attempt to do a catch up workout in these circumstances. Just follow your scaled back template from where you would be if you hadn't gotten ill.

 

If it's due to life, and your energy is otherwise good, then a catch up workout can work quite well.

 

edit: But if it turns into a habit; read Jon's post below and consider revising your workout template to something more realistic for your life. Nothing worse than adding missed workout stress on top of an already busy life.

Jon Douglas

As Cole says, it happens. Try to err on the side of conservative; I find when I get a wrench thrown into the works it gives me an excuse to work a little lighter for a few weeks, and provide me some much needed recovery boost. In this way, I have been able to take  control of downtime and make it work for me. I suggest you find a way to do the same :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I've been there. But working out sick is counter productive because gains are made not during the time in the gym but in the recovery period AFTER. So, if you're sick, you logically can't even maintain the basic recovery for your day-to-day. Take it easy until you're back on your feet. You won't have actually lost that much ground as you'll see. Maybe one block or so on a few elements, but nothing major. Once you recognize GB as being all about the long-game, it's best to think of your overall commitment in terms of months and years, not days to weeks. Life happens, it's annoying. We can't all be elite gymnasts even though that voice in our says we should be/need to be. So, if your overall layout of the month or year is predominantly filled with more days of you showing up, working your hardest and most intelligently than of you missing workouts and being inconsistent then just respect that and keep it moving. Consistency is a win in and of itself.

Focus on getting healthier and fully fit sooner, that's likely your most pressing workout goal for the time being--and if it's a major/chronic illness, this is even more so the truth. No sense in trying to keep up on foundation elements if walking leaves you winded, nauseous, or what have you. Best of luck. Get healthy.

Ben G

Thank you all for the great advice. I'll follow through this week as a deload week and pick up where I left off next week.

I may have been overdoing it the past few weeks, I've been downhill skiing on the weekends and added a couple runs to my week. Thinking about it now I've added a lot of extra activity the last month without really planning on it. Skiing takes a lot out of me. I've been having fun and making good progress until this week though.

Giovanni Garcea

Piggybacking on the OP question. What is the best strategy when you have to travel for an entire week without access to a gym?

Sometimes I can still get all the workouts in by working out during the weekends before and after the trip plus doing what I can in the hotel gym, but other times I need to accept that I just have to accept a forced week off.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Being that I've spent more time on the road than at home over the past five weeks what I do is a) look for a local gym which cheap fees. If that's out of the question then b) figure out which elements and iM's don't require anything other than bodyweight (FL, sPL, SLS, HBP mostly) and I focus on those primarily, as well as the stretch series. I continue with my planned workouts and make adjustmentd as needed. If I dont have a barbell and plates handy then I look for dumbbells, if I don't have dumbbells I look for household items (broomsticks, milk jugs, etc), and I'm lacking even that then I try to find a way to perform stretches that are likened to the mobility element that I can as ably perform (for example, HS/pe1-im is very much like a loaded cat stretch, so in that case I would do a cat stretch, and so on). Best case scenario would be that you have your gymnastic rings, a strap, and yoga blocks with you, as you can then do the upper body strength elements and stretch series. If nothing else: you could do the movement series and just focus on your recovery and diet. Hope this helps. Like I mentioned above, it's about the long game and the more I remember that the easier it is to be forgiving when life happens and travel takes me away from training.