This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Slow Down To Speed Progress

Started by Cory Fair, January 21, 2016 · 12 Replies · 452 Views

Cory Fair

I've noticed over the past few days a large drop in the completed tasks for students. As more and more items are on your daily plate, it's going to become a challenge to bump on. Rather than becoming frustrated or giving up, this is the time to slow down and cement the current set of nutritional habits. 

 

The course has been designed with this in mind, so do not feel pressured to unlock every new task the moment you're able. If building habits were this easy, you wouldn't need Thrive. Make a conscious effort each day and if you screw up, don't sweat. Keep working and then give a renewed effort on Monday to get all six days for the upcoming week.

 

Don't forget that part of the course is also creating habits of accountability. If you complete a task but do not mark it off, it is still incomplete. 

vinca_minor

Would it be possible to add an "export to .csv" button, so we could look at our adherence over time?

Jeff Serven

No. Spend 100% of your time doing the steps and not being a nerd.

JaredL

I messed up Monday night by getting home from work after midnight, by then it had already rolled over. At first I was kind of bummed.

After thinking about it for awhile we're trying to make very long term changes/additions to diet and this extends far beyond the 13 weeks of the course length. So taking an extra week here is a good thing, not intended though, to help solidify habits.

For someone who's been on two meals a day for years, just changing that habit to three, and with maybe snacks thrown in later, constitutes a lot of habit to break. Great course and the I really like the implementation/structure too.

Coach Sommer
Cory Fair said:

I've noticed over the past few days a large drop in the completed tasks for students. As more and more items are on your daily plate, it's going to become a challenge to bump on. Rather than becoming frustrated or giving up, this is the time to slow down and cement the current set of nutritional habits. 

 

The course has been designed with this in mind, so do not feel pressured to unlock every new task the moment you're able. If building habits were this easy, you wouldn't need Thrive. Make a conscious effort each day and if you screw up, don't sweat. Keep working and then give a renewed effort on Monday to get all six days for the upcoming week.

 

Don't forget that part of the course is also creating habits of accountability. If you complete a task but do not mark it off, it is still incomplete. 

 

 

Come on, people.  Let's stay on point.

 

Have you ever noticed how everyone is always enthusiastic at the start of a new goal?  In my experience it is only the studs (also known as future champions) who are able to remain focused and continue working hard once the initial excitement has worn off.

 

Also, be aware that there will be a new restructuring of the Thrive forum coming in a few days that is going to help you to remain even more focused on your current step.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinca_minor

Sounds like someone found a solution to the "future task bleed through" in forum posts.

Xcel

Very enthusiastic still and holding well to my daily tasks.  There have been two occasions that I have fallen asleep myself after dinner while putting the kids to bed.  When I wake up it's a new day and I missed being able to say I finished my tasks.  But with that being said I'm not in any rush so if I get held back a cycle it's okay, I will keep on keeping on.   I understand this is supposed to be big change, and we all know what happens when that happens overnight.  Thanks for all the great lessons so far.

trw
vinca_minor said:

Sounds like someone found a solution to the "future task bleed through" in forum posts.

 

Ha! Having just begun Thrive this week, fine by me. I have seen a few posts about future tasks that piqued my curiosity, but then I said screw it and ate cheesy pasta for lunch. I don't want to worry about it yet. Task list will pile up soon enough. If I'm following this course then I'm not eating any more vegetables until I have to.

Erik Rissanen

On the topic of completing tasks, would it be possible to get a day or two advance warning about each next step? I missed my first breakfast task because I learned about it too late to buy the groceries needed to complete it the same morning.

Artur Krajewski
vinca_minor said:

Would it be possible to add an "export to .csv" button, so we could look at our adherence over time?

 

 

Jeff Serven said:

No. Spend 100% of your time doing the steps and not being a nerd.

It is not only about statistics. 

User interface does not confirms that we completed previous tasks. Yesterday Thursday no task was added to my list and I am not sure is it because there was no new task or because I accidentally missed some task.

 

Moreover, timing is weird. For me tasks do not appear in the morning but in the afternoon. There is no way to be sure when the 'logical' day starts and ends. Probably time zone issue.

 

Such simple 'report' would be helpful is such cases. Of course better UI in browser would be even better.

 

Regarding the topic: For this course we have to change our habits not only for an hour or two a day (like in foundation) but almost for the whole day. It even affects how often we go to grocery store :-). No wonder some people have problems fulfilling 100% of requirements every day throughout the week.

Cory Fair
Artur Krajewski said:

It is not only about statistics. 

User interface does not confirms that we completed previous tasks. Yesterday Thursday no task was added to my list and I am not sure is it because there was no new task or because I accidentally missed some task.

 

Moreover, timing is weird. For me tasks do not appear in the morning but in the afternoon. There is no way to be sure when the 'logical' day starts and ends. Probably time zone issue.

 

Such simple 'report' would be helpful is such cases. Of course better UI in browser would be even better.

 

Regarding the topic: For this course we have to change our habits not only for an hour or two a day (like in foundation) but almost for the whole day. It even affects how often we go to grocery store :-). No wonder some people have problems fulfilling 100% of requirements every day throughout the week.

 

1. We have an advanced interface coming the first couple days of February that makes it very obvious on what you have completed out of your required goal. If this isn't obvious enough, there will be the ability to see the status of tasks on all previous days. You will not however be able to edit a previous day.

 

2. The timezones shouldn't be an issue at this point. Further, starting next week, tasks will unlock after you've completed the required steps rather than having to wait until Monday or Thursday. 

 

For example, if you complete your first weekly goal on Wednesday morning by completing all tasks for the required days in a row, Thursday's task will unlock shortly after you save the completion.

Coach Sommer

Let's expand on some of the details of what Cory stated above:

 

- If you mark your day's task completed at the last possible moment of the day, e.g. 11:59pm, then your new task is also going to become available at the last possible minute of the day.  

 

If this is inconvenient or causes you logistical issues (groceries, preparation time, schedule adjustments etc) - then stop marking your tasks completed at the last possible moment.

 

- Time zone issues have already been corrected.  If you are still having issues, your geographic location in your student profile is incorrectly set.

 

- The user interface is being adjusted so that you can more clearly see what you have completed and what you have not as well as the tasks you have completed in the past.

 

- The forum user interface is also being adjusted so that you will only be able to view the discussions which are pertinent to your past completed and current step.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinca_minor

That sounds like it will address all of the issues I have run into. Thank you.