This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Developing power in the legs

Started by DBeckerman, January 21, 2016 · 8 Replies · 362 Views

DBeckerman

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could please have some advice on how to develop that spring like power in my legs please.

I am currently up to SE5 in SLS and am near mastery. I need a little bit more explosiveness and spring in my legs for judo (with both feet on the ground and any of the sweeps). I feel I have plenty of power in my upper body (thanks to GST!) and have thought about using hill sprints, killers depth to box jumps to help with lower body power.

Any advice appreciated please happy to give anything a go.

Cheers,

DB

Keilani Gutierrez

I've focused on loosening up my quads as much as i can and strengthening my hamstrings via SLS SE iM1 and etc. that alone has given me a 51-52in hop from dead stop and that's about sternum height and add an inch for me. my height is 66.5-67in.

 

have you tested your vertical box jump? vertical leap? I'm sure to develop power for Judoka techniques you practice the techniques, gaining mobility and strength may cause some new sensations to get used to but once you get that first real good first pop you start to play that game with the legs and hamstrings to store the charge for the punch.. if you let the strength slip, you will see an instant decrease in jumping ability, as well. so you have to keep working on SLS and work on FLS SE to really see any cool party trick like bunny hops. :D^_^

Cole Dano

Some classic gymnastic power building exercises would include things like bunny hops, leaps, sprints, squat jumps.

 

A personal favorite of mine is the rebounding box jump. You'd use a box lower than normal so you can jump up and land on it with fairly straight legs. However rather than landing you spring off the box as fast as possible.

DBeckerman

I haven't yet done much box jump or broad jumps. I might add some in with some sprints after for conditioning afterwards. With the jumps as a warm up 3x5 alternating broad and box jumps but all as a rebound.

Jon Douglas

Second on rebounding, sprung floor is inferior for strength gains but in return allows you to punch as hard as you can, which for me went a long way in learning to convert that strength into power.

Jump rope is a great introduction; we have also had this discussion in the F4 section recently :)

Cole Dano

Jump rope indeed! There's a reason any boxer worth his salt uses one.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

What exactly does stiff legged jump roping improve/focus on? Same thing for the stiff ankle

DBeckerman

Thanks guys for the advice. I've got the stretch series so that will help with loosening things up. I'll definitely add skipping in too then will make a great warmup before everything too

DBeckerman

That punch into the ground is something I really don't have so these ideas are perfect then thanks!