Beginner and Advanced Skills

Started by norbeex3, October 15, 2009 · 2 Replies · 1,709 Views

norbeex3

I'm into gymnastics conditioning for a little while now and I think I want to learn some tumbling and floor skills.

My question is: Should I learn the basic skills first like (examples not exactly these) the back roll to handstand, front roll and the others like them to learn the moves like flips and twists successfuly? Or how should I start and continue if I learned the basics :?:

Anyone have some toughts on this topic?

Blairbob

Building a strong foundation for the basics will allow you to learn more intermediate and advanced skills faster and more efficiently. More efficient will allow you to make up for not being as strong or powerful otherwise.

A simple forward or backward roll are to simply teach basic somersaults but teach proper technique for forwards and backward saltos/flips or double or triple salto/flips when taught with proper cues.

Back roll to HS teaches a free/clear hip to HS which can turn into other release moves.

A kata guruma that uses a scoop and cartwheel can be quite devastating in judo or H2H.

What basics can you do now :?:

norbeex3

well almost every basic moves that we learn in school like forward and backward rolls(with tuck and with straight legs n' straddle too), dive roll(I'm not sure if I can do it without some soft surface), and headstand( i can press to headstand from many position, I usually use straddle or pike). Handstand is an individual category for me because I love handbalancing and it has many subskills but I can do the basic free standing handstand for 30 second for the floor skills. I was doing some backflips on thick mats at a gym almost a year ago but I didn't try it on harder surface. I could also do a pretty untechnical front tuck.(It was good but I landed in a squat position most of the time).