This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice for meals before training?

Started by AleGr, January 20, 2016 · 9 Replies · 523 Views

AleGr

Hello everybody,

 

I was wondering about advice for meals before training.

That is concerning timing and components for said meal.

I manage to go to BJJ-Classes on a bi-weekly basis. Classes start at 8pm. 

From an organisatory standpoint i happen to prepare / eat around 6/30 pm. 

I remarked that certain foods hinder my performance and alertness during the course.

This seems especially to be the case with too much Carbs and Fiber.

 

I would appreciate your input!

 

 

 

Cheers,

Alex

Jeff Serven

AleGr, 

Sounds like you answered your own question. Not too much carbs, particularly fiber before classes. Do you eat after? 

AleGr

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

 

I do eat after - usually i down a protein shake on the way home and try to get some vegetables = eggs on the good days. On the bad days peanut butter sandwiches + bananas  :mellow:

 

When the window before training is small - say an hour - would you rather eat fruit or starches?

 

 

 

Cheers, Alex

Jeff Serven

Zach - School me up on the Zip Shake. Where did you get the idea from? 

 

AleGr, I would eat fruit just for the simplicity but both are good choices. 

AleGr

Ok, cool..

 

Thanks for the responses

On a sidenote i too would like to hear more about your "Zip shake". My google-fu failed here...

Jeff Serven

Zach, 

 

Cool man! Thanks for the info. Hey guys, give it a try if you are struggling to get your heathy fat in the AM. 

 

This is the first I have ever hear of a Zip Shake so will will give cred to Zach for it. 

JasonN
Zach Armijo said:

Zip Shake = protein powder + coffee. I add coconut milk, coconut oil, and cinnamon (to mix up the taste). 

Zach, all my coconut oil is solid at room temps or below. How do you get it to incorporate into the shake?

 

edit: wait! is the coffee hot? :)

Mats Trane
Zach Armijo said:

Zip Shake = protein powder + coffee. I add coconut milk, coconut oil, and cinnamon (to mix up the taste).

Sounds interesting Zach!

What protein powder do you use in the coffee? What flavor to make drinkable? Maybe use 2 raw eggs instead?

Mats Trane
Zach Armijo said:

I use Muscle Pharm's Combat Powder Chocolate or ON's Chocolate. Both taste very nice. 

 

Can't say I sub'd 2 raw eggs before :P

I'll try with chocolate powder! Sounds pretty good!