Do you guys ever do self checks to see how close you are to mastering a skill? What I mean is, lets say that you start with a tuck hollow in block 1 and 6 weeks later you try to test your self on the mastery of that skill and you complete it...probably never happens, but if it did, would you move on to the next progression or continue the course as is?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started too easy with certain skills
Started by Jeffrey Schrank, January 19, 2016 · 5 Replies · 245 Views
Occasionally I get, as Coach says, 'a bit froggy,' and like to test myself. As best practise I limit this to only on the last set; I particularly like Alessandro's suggestion of 5x5 mastery being in truth 5, 5, 5, 5, 7.
Don't count this for mastery if you do get the joys of spring in you and try the whole thing. It's tempting to rush ahead, but realistically putting in the easy volume is going to do you more good, and the time will pass quickly. Just keep putting reps in the bank and be grateful for a nice linear improvement ![]()
I appreciate the input. I agree with you as far as patience and follow the linear plan. I just remember looking at the quick start guide and it saying that most beginners can complete it all in about 3-4 years...I did the math however, and if someone started a skill like the front lever from the very beginning and did every single rep prescribed it would take over 6 years. 27 progressions x 12 weeks (3 blocks) / 52 weeks in a year = a little over 6 years.
I am in it for the long haul anyways. But I sometimes wonder if I did start too early...
Jon, can you please explain more what do you mean by saying that putting in the easy volume is going to do you more good? ![]()
I think he means doing the intermediate weeks instead of going directly for mastery.
I mean that spending some time working up, even if its a bit lighter than strictly necessary, is going to do you more good than working as hard as you can every session. I certainly didn't say that you must spend 12 weeks on every exercise or that it should take you 6 years to get a front lever
just that if you have tested yourself to start a cycle in a particular place, getting more practise at the movement over a couple weeks and discovering that you are now capable of performing mastery reps does not indicate any change in strength or adaptation; just learning that you will lose as quickly as you gained unless you are trying to maintain a huge number of movements. Better to stick to the timetable established by your ability when you began the element, build volume, get real gains, move on and not have to revisit it looking for holes later.