I realize that most persons taking their cues from BTGB don't utilize the bench press often, but it would be my guess that many have used it the past, do it occassionally for variety, or know others who see the bench press as a path to self-worth. I did bench presses as part of my strength training for years, although I did not seriously train as do powerlifters. There have been some comments that I have caught in passing but never completely understood, as to the risks of bench press to the shoulder, and I have heard of severe injuries to the pectoral muscles for those who press very heavy weight.
Could someone explain the risks associated with the bench press, especially for more the general fitness population? What are the mechanics of the injury? I ask this not because I need to be persuaded to change to a different form of training; I don't really use the bench press all that much because I prefer the rings or push-up variations. My choice was not so much to avoid the bench press, but was made because I was attracted to more gymnastic-type strength training. I am just curious, from a general perspective, whether the bench press should be avoided altogether if one wants to maintain healthy shoulders.