This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Elbow Doesn't Straighten

Started by tshagel, January 17, 2016 · 3 Replies · 249 Views

tshagel

Hey all,

 

I've been really enjoying the PE exercises for H1 but as I am looking ahead I notice that most people are able to straighten their elbows flat (or even backwards). I, however, cannot.

 

They come close, but there is a visible bend to them. 

 

I went to a massage therapist a ways back and he said that it is caused from an overly tight bicep which caused my arms to stay at a slight bend, then he mentioned scar tissue has built up in the joint.

 

Can anyone offer some insight? I would like to start some exercises to prep my elbows for when I do get to actual handstands.

 

Cheers,

Travis

Dylan Robertson

You might want to try out Voodoo Floss. It helps regain ROM in joints, https://youtu.be/0dgbCDtqdlI

Also if stretching your biceps does not hurt, then do that as well. http://www.roguefitness.com/voodoo-floss-bands

If you don't have enough money to buy that, you can also just go to a bike store and ask for some inner tubing of a bike ride. It will do the same thing.

tshagel

Hey Dylan,

 

I purchased the voodoo bands and I've been using them for several days. I've getting used to them, however, it doesn't seem to be this magic fix like he shows in his videos. I even bought the "pro" videos from his website to see if he had any more insight, but to no avail.

 

I'm working on stretching every aspect of my arm, since my understanding is that everything is connected. 

Forearms in every which way, Bicep, tricep, shoulders, and Pecks.

 

Is it supposed to be a instant fix? Or something that will take years? I'm prepared for either, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

 

Thanks!

Coach Sommer

There are no instant fixes.

 

If this is due to a tight bicep, then yes it will improve in time.

 

If this is due to the inherent structure of your elbow, then no it won't.

 

Only way to find out which it is is to do the work and see if your elbow responds.  Be patient and give the tissues time to adjust.  No point in adding an unnecessary injury on top of everything else.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer