This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE6 With A Wooden Stick or A Weighted Bar?!

Started by HB_Ron, January 16, 2016 · 10 Replies · 208 Views

HB_Ron

This could have been already asked, but I couldn't find a clear answer:

 

Seeing the athlete in the demo - he is definitely using a stick although the title of the PE notes "with Weighted Bar".

It wouldn't be comfortable to place the plates on the sides of the stick because this is performed...well... on the floor.. The plate will touch the ground in every rep.

 

So should I just put ankle weights on my wrists or perform this PE(including PE4-5) with just a stick?  :huh:

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You could get a weighted bar, that is in itself weighted versus a wooden dowel.

Romulo

Exactly, the athlete is not using a stick, that´s a weighted bar. Not all bars are olympic ;)

 

HS/PE6 is standing, prone exercises begin a PE7. I don´t see any inconvenient with the plates touching the floor like the athlete demonstrates though I use ankle weights myself (just because I don´t have any plates). Alessandro Mainente already pointed it would be better to have the weight evenly distributed (at both sides instead of a single weight in the center) to avoid progressive imbalances.

 

At the beginning, when I didn´t have a metallic bar, I did the mobility with a huge tree twig I found in a park with the ankle weights. Primal caveman fitness :P

Jon Douglas

I also used ankle weights doing this one, until I got a lighter weighted bar. A 20kg bar made the exercise slightly too difficult for some reason!

Alessandro Mainente

If the problem is the floor...then lie on a bench 

Jon Douglas

Heh, teach a man to fish, right? ;)

Colm O'Shea

I use ankle weights but wrap them tight around a dowel instead of my wrists. That slightly extends the lever and makes the exercise harder than it would be with the weight at the wrists. Also, and perhaps this is heresy, I find that if I put something like a large cushion or foam roller under my hips to raise them, it makes it MUCH harder. Like can't-use-any-weight hard. The movement becomes an intense shoulder opener.

Romulo

Sorry Colm, but it´s obvious for the mobility exercises that you should weight the bar not your wrists.

Colm O'Shea

Hi Romulo. Read the first sentence of my post again: I weight the dowel, not my wrists. This is in reply to HB Ron's question above about whether or not he should weight his wrists with ankle weights if he doesn't have a weighted bar. 

Romulo

Hi Colm, yes I read it and understood that you weight the dowel. I was just telling it was obvious since nowhere in the course it says to weight your wrists.

Colm O'Shea

If I understand correctly, the original poster knows the course doesn't say to weight the wrists, but he doesn't have access to a weighted bar. However, he floated the idea of ankle weights on the wrists, so I assume he owns or has access to ankle weights. I suggested he put them on the dowel instead. Am I missing something? Granted it's late. I should probably hit the hay.