This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular depression question

Started by old dude_1969, January 16, 2016 · 2 Replies · 172 Views

old dude_1969

Since restarting Foundation, I have really been focusing on my scapular position as it relates to the various exercises.  I had "mastered" HBP PE 1 and 2 with poor form ( elevated scapulae) as I look back at what I was doing.  I was protracting, but my depression was terrible.  I have gone back and I am correcting this mistake.  I am currently doing a 4 week cycle of HBP/PE 1 and sPL/PE1 to get the position to feel more natural. 

 

I find the early HBP and sPL exercises targeting my upper body differently with having an emphasis on scap depression.  I feel HBP much more in the pectorals and triceps.  I guess my question is: Does depressing the scapulae during pressing exercises stabilize the upper body as it prepares for more challenging exercises?  Does it place more load on these muscles? I was having quite a bit of trapezius pain prior to starting over...Is it possible that by not paying attention to scap positioning, I was causing my own pain?  After a couple weeks, the pain is virtually gone with the correct scapula position!  Any thoughts/answers are appreciated.

 

Live and learn.

Pafke

I have read couple of times here that some people injured themself while doing pushing exercises with elevated shoulders. I remamber Alessandro was saying something in some thread what particulary happens when shoulders are elevated during pushing exercises and why it is not good to do them with elevation, i hope he will see your question.

old dude_1969

Thanks for the reply.  I am so happy I decided to step back and restart foundation.  It is unbelievable how changing something so basic has literally relieved the pain I had been having in my trapezius for months.