This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rope Climb - Czech variations

Started by Jon Phillips, January 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 274 Views

Jon Phillips

Hi guys,

First time posting on the forum, but i couldn't find any posts already covering this.

I've just gotten myself a climbing rope and am starting to work through the final progressions of Foundation 4 Rope Climb. But I'm struggling to see any major differences between Czech 1,2 & 3.

 

Is it just a gradual increase of the grip distance between hands? Czech 2 seems to pull more towards the hip. Or is there something that I'm missing?

 

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Jon Douglas

Distance between hands. I think this is in the focus points under the video IIRC :)

That is, bottom hand at wrist, elbow, shoulder respectively. Note that this is in the full hang; as Zach pointed out to me a while ago if you set the height before you actually take the weight on your arms, your shoulder elevating will give you some 3 or so inches of assistance (which I didn't notice until I was told) :)

Jon Phillips

Thanks Jon Douglas!

That makes sense now. I was looking through the notes, but for some reason didn't click that it went from Wrist to Elbow to Shoulder :facepalm:

Jon Douglas

No problem :)

Of course you can take it as gradually as you need to in between those benchmarks but by this time they shouldebe achievable as you reach each one :)

J0X

Do you guys also struggle with grip fatigue more than biceps fatigue when doing RC? I am nearly at the last week in the last progression but have been stalling for quite a bit because my hands cant grasp anything anymore when beyond set 3 ;D incredibly difficult. Especially the last pull before the ceiling is horrible as my rope is much wider in diameter in that area... i need to go climbing more I guess.

 

The "mobility" ist probably just designed to kill your regeneration between sets xD

Jon Douglas

Yes, I do. Again now on rope climbs for distance its inconsistent between grip and biceps that fatigue first.

I did however discover that there is a lot more grip in there when it is fatigued and unpleasant than I thought; even when my forearms are pumped and it's kind of uncomfortable and I feel like I 'have to let go' (but I'm not physically falling down). This has happened to me a few times; when I bear down and just refuse to let go I discover several more good reps in there :)

Jon Phillips

Yeah I also get grip fatigue. I've sometimes worn fingerless gloves to help while my calluses recover.