This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bone broth

Started by Mark Schoenhard, January 15, 2016 · 4 Replies · 252 Views

Mark Schoenhard

What are your facts and feelings on bone broth?  Thank you.

JaredL

Homemade stock, done correctly, is amazing, and makes good use of the pieces of the animal that often get wasted. Few things are more comforting than high quality soup.

Mark Schoenhard

Agreed.  I've been making my own for over a year from deer, pheasant, duck, goose and bison.  Looking forward to Jeff's perspective.

Jeff Serven

Bone broth is concentrated source of whatever the animal it came from. If you are hunting your own deer and making bone broth out of it or pasture raised animals - that is the absolute best option. If you are getting bones of feed lot cattle - waste of time. 

 

I always like to double up the bones. For example use two whole chickens instead of 1. 

 

In the winter I drink it like a cup of coffee when I'm cold (nothing new there). It serves as a pretty good drink or you can make your white rice in it with a bay leave instead of water and its awesome. 

Cuneyt Uysal

+1 on throwing rice into broth.