This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Frequency of Fs & Ms - alternate weeks, or blocks in series?

Started by Mike_B, January 15, 2016 · 4 Replies · 211 Views

Mike_B

Hi all,

 

So I've got myself the Fs and Ms stretch courses, had one go at each, bought the straps and stretch blocks, and now I'm trying to get myself into a manageable rhythm with my training for the new year.

 

My question is about time management - I'm going to find it hard to do both stretch courses in one week most weeks, because of the recovery and need to avoid other activities on the same day (I've got advice from others in different posts, and noted Coach's advice that this needs to be trained slowly).

 

I'm wondering if these could be trained on alternate weeks, or perhaps in (for example) alternating two-week blocks?

 

I've noted other posts where Coach has advised not to train more than once a week, but I'm wondering if either of the above would be ineffective?  If it makes progress slower, that's fine by me - I'm happy to take things slowly - but just wanted some advice on this idea.

 

Many thanks!

 

Mike.

 

 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Some people here (including myself) pretty quickly adjust to the added stretching load and it then becomes only stretching and recovery doesn't get affected that much. Now I feel like stretching even improves my recovery, especially shoulders and traps.

 

My take on Coach's recommendation is that I need to treat it as a stretching, not as strength, meaning I need to make sure I don't do it harder than it needs to be done, not necessarily rarer than once a week which is emphasized in follow along video (consistent work gives the best results). Anyway, you will still benefit from these courses, even if done once in two weeks, not as much as from weekly training, though. :)

Mike_B

Thanks Vytautas - I think my problem is simply time that I have with other things (like work and other stuff!) rather than recovery from stretching (although as you say I think I'll need a period of adjustment).

 

I think I'll start a baseline of alternating weeks, then do more if I have the time :)

Jon Douglas

Same here-- def don't need to avoid activities around it, i feel like that may be getting a little overcautious.

Currently I'm doing two stretch sessions per week, and simply maintain the same order of the 3 so that it rotates naturally. Finding it work well :)

Mike_B

Jon - thanks for this - looks like the consensus is don't be too afraid of them, just take things slowly - I'll ease into what time and my body allow, and we'll see where we go from there :)