This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progress in H1 w/out Headstands

Started by Randal Jackson, January 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 208 Views

Randal Jackson

Hello All,

 

I need some suggestions on how to progress without doing headstands. I've had prior neck issues and when I try and do the headstands, starting from the beginning progressions, I get headaches along with stiff/painful neck muscle soreness. My chiropractor recommended that because of my neck issues, I should stay away from the headstand portions (he is a headstand/handstand/one arm handstand practicer so he has nothing against headstands, just says they don't work for me).

 

I'd like some help on how to progress. I have been working iM 1, and just started doing iM 2 with iM 1 on the same day. I guess my question is should I work on iM 1-3 together or separate before doing any handstand work at all? Can I do iM's 1-3 or even 1-4 and start doing some minimal handstand work too?

 

I guess I've noticed that there is quite a bit of iM work to get through before even doing handstands against the wall. Like many on here, I'm anxious to get to handstand work, but not so anxious that I want to set myself back with injury.

 

I'm bummed about not being able to do the headstand portion because I was enjoying them. So any advice on how to progress without the headstand...iM's and strength portions with suggested would be much appreciated. 

 

Thanks in advance!

vannybute

I believe that the Thoracic Bridge series has some good neck release and stretching progressions; if you work on those, then you might be able to comfortably do headstand work. If you do not take care of your neck problem right now, it will cause imbalances and pain later on. Also note that neck pain can often be connected to trap pain and shoulder pain, which means we may have a larger problem on our hands. Try seeing a doctor soon because it is hard for us to provide quality help online (physical checkups are better).

Cole Dano

Were you able to do PE1? 

Joshua Slocum

Sorry about your neck: headstands are fun :(

iM 1 and 2 can be done together; same with 2 and 3, but it's counterproductive to do 1 and 3 at the same time because 3 is a progression of 1.

I would also ask your chiropractor for some good neck exercises to work on, and superset those with the iM work.

Randal Jackson

Thanks for the replies. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have C6 stenosis (6th vertebrae in vertical spine, decrease in the space) that I do traction for. I do plenty on neck stretches and strengthening drills as warm ups and outside of warm-ups. So I'm just worried about the compression on the cervical spine, believe me I want to do the headstands. I'll try the ones with the chairs and see how that goes, but I wont be strengthening my neck with those either.

 

I have the thoracic bridge series I do once a week. Thanks Joshua for the iM tips, I worked iM 1 & 2 together yesterday and that helped. I'll stick with the iM's and work through them to mastery before doing any handstand work...unless anyone has any other advice.

 

Thanks again folks!