This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Raw veg lunch

Started by Colm O'Shea, January 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 384 Views

Colm O'Shea

Hi Jeff,

 

Quick question about lunch. I aim to eat salads typically (lettuce/spinach, raw carrots, etc, with probably some meat on the side) but once in a while I thought I might have a shake instead. Would a homemade kale/apple shake be an acceptable raw substitute? 

 

Thanks again for your help. Nutrition has always been a huge weak spot for me. I know it's early days for me in the Thrive program, but already I have found that becoming conscious of the (most basic) elements of nutrition has already made me feel much more happy and in control. I wake up excited about the series of "micro-missions" I have for the day and relish ticking off the task list before bed. Few things are more satisfying than figuring out the basics of life like eating. Now if only someone would create a GB Sleep program--I have two young kids with a third on the way--I'd be totally set.

 

 

Jeff Serven

Umm...shakes and drinks are a tricky subject. There is about only one way I would say that a kale smoothie would be a good once in a while thing. That is if you throw the kale in a blender like a Blend Tech Blender and make a smoothie out of it, drinking basically blended up kale. Juicing doesn't work. 

 

Glad to hear Thrive is working out so well for you. Stay tuned for the sleep goal. It may or may not be an upcoming step. 

Colm O'Shea

Hi Jeff,

 

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, it's adding the apple that is the problem? If it's just the kale you're drinking then that's not so bad? Is that because you can consume too many calories too quickly if you drink fruit that's thrown in a blender? 

Jeff Serven

Apple is great

 

The problem with drinks is this....

1) If I say yes a kale and apple blended in a blender with water as the only ingredients is great

2) Then some goon will do that and add just a little bit of apple juice(read sugar water) and insist its the same thing

3) And Then some weasel will go to a drink place and get a "green drink" which is powder crap greens, sugar and some green dye and insist its the same thing 

 

So yes - Kale, water and an apple is good. But, don't try to turn that into the worst thing you can with 3 "not good for you" ingredients 

Colm O'Shea

Got it. Perfect sense.

Chris Garay

Love the clarity on the vegetable / smoothie / juice topic Jeff, thanks for posting! Helpful for sure.