This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1+iM Form Check

Started by jkoppel, January 13, 2016 · 7 Replies · 137 Views

jkoppel

Feedback appreciated

 

 

 

 

sashok

You need to do it slowly. Dumbbells should touch the floor like on the video course. And do not lift your hands so high. This applies to the PE. 

Ryan Reynolds

Slow down!  Watch the course video again, and then watch your video. Your setting up wrong, your head is flailing, pause at the bottom, keep a flat back, touch the ground, reduce the weight.

 

im: Slow down, try to keep your knees straighter and circle your hips not so much your torso.

jkoppel

I found this advice really helpful. How am I doing now?

 

 

 

Cole Dano

- Slow down even more, right now this looks like an element from special needs class. ;)

- Coordinate the movement of your head with that of the rest of the body

- Don't lift the weight so high, it will only just pass over the knees

- Twist from the core, and twist enough that you are able to touch the leading edge of the weight to the floor.

James Koppel

Okay, I think I understand most of that, except:

 

Quote

- Slow down even more, right now this looks like an element from special needs class. ;)

Really? It took me 46 seconds for 30 reps in that video, as opposed to 53 seconds for 30 reps in the GB Pro video. That's pretty strong words for going 1/8 faster.

 

I do see that I'm lifting the weight higher than in either the GB pro or the course videos, but they're also lifting it well above the knees.

Ryan Bailey

James,

Compared to your first video, I see your arms are more inline with your torso movements this time, with less of the ballistic up and down movements; that is good.  This, in combination with your slower rotation demonstrates improved lower trunk control.  Regarding weight, sometimes lighter weight can decrease neuromuscular control, so the weight you have seems to be appropriate.  As Cole mentioned, brushing the weight just over the knees, then touching down towards the floor, even if its slowly controlled just behind the hip is excellent. 

I recommend this for a practice set:

stopping at the end range of each twist with the weight on the floor... feel the twist of the low spine as this is the best part of the movement, hold for one... slow... relaxing breath, then repeat to the other side.  After that practice set, try the mastery tempo with perfect form.  Sometimes I try this when I feel I am rushing at the end, or bottom of a certain PE.  Continue the good progress!

Cole Dano

Sorry if I came off wrong, just my old man way of keeping things light. 

I'm mostly referring to the coordination of the movement, I'm always looking for smooth movements that have a sense of ease and dare I say grace. I have no idea how fast they go in GB pro, personally my thought is go at your pace if it means form and control break down, you can always hit pause if you need to.