This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hips clicking

Started by Glexx, January 13, 2016 · 3 Replies · 234 Views

Glexx

Hey,

Iam a few months into GB and am seeing amazing progress. The only thing that seems to be at a stalemate are a persistent clicking in my hips during the stretch series middle splits and any straddle movement (straddle ups are the worst) when I try to shorten the range to the point where my hips don't click it's so scaled back that the point of the movement/stretch is completely lost.

Also the feeling of anteriorly rotating my hips while in a seated straddle seems miles away. Any insight on the correlation between these two problems and perhaps some fixes that will have me see progression over time would be appreciated. Right now I just feel as if my hips are regressing in terms of middle splits and straddle positions

Thanks

Coach Sommer
Glexx said:

... Also the feeling of anteriorly rotating my hips while in a seated straddle seems miles away ...

 

Elevate until you are able to properly anteriorly rotate the hips.  If that means you end up sitting all the way up on a bar stool, so be it.  

 

The elevation you end up using is unimportant, achieving anterior pelvic tilt is.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On February 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Coach Sommer said:

 

Elevate until you are able to properly anteriorly rotate the hips.  If that means you end up sitting all the way up on a bar stool, so be it.  

 

The elevation you end up using is unimportant, achieving anterior pelvic tilt is.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So, true. I'd been having piriformis pain, which unrelatedly was due to overzealous work on SLS/PE3, and so I thought that I simply needed to stretch the piriformis more. While true, and helpful, I also started doing the MSs on two yoga blocks versus one and found that I got my chest about in line with my legs much, much more easily and as a result of hitting deeper ROM (though propped up) without as much exertion, it seems that my piriformis wasn't being aggravated further. 

 

The key with everything mobility wise in GST that I keep re-realizing, is that to become a rockstar everything must be done pain-free and in a range of motion that is thus. Huffing and puffing and lactic acid do not equate with pain, though. So whatever needs to be done to do a movement pain-free needs to be done.

Ryan Bailey
22 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I also started doing the MSs on two yoga blocks versus one and found that I got my chest about in line with my legs

I also elevated higher today on MSs using one of those medicine balls... felt much greater stretch through the inner thigh :o