I already have a good idea as to the answer to my question but it turns out that all my shoulder and handstand issues, according to my PT, stem from "graduate school syndrome" or extensively stiff upper back and hunching posture as I work and research on my laptop. It turns out that lagging ROM in my thoracic spine had put extensive pressure on my AC joint and caused the symptoms of inflammation/impingement/tendonitis that I had been feeling. I received some stretches and exercises (which were big ol' slices of humble pie-reverse flyes with 2.5lbs wore me out after 2 sets of 20) from him but was wondering if anyone had insights on what, if anything, GB specific could help shore up my lack of mobility and strength in my postural muscles of my upper back. Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Desk Patrol Help
Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, January 12, 2016 · 12 Replies · 444 Views
I went and still are going through all of this. After a PhD and 10 years of desk work, I had/have all the symptoms in the book: tendinitis, pain in the pectoral muscles, horrible hunchback posture, overhead movement limitations, etc../. Last spring I could only do a small portion of the TB stretch series, because it was hurting too much.
I did the physical therapy exercises twice a day for months and they helped a lot, so I could go back and do my standard GB program that I had, for a long time, to limit quite a bit. The only additional insight I have was that my PT told me that most of the potential progress would come from my attention to posture during all the other hours of the day, almost more than from exercises.
So I got into the habit of using my lunch break to take a walk, being very aware of my posture and I think it really helps a lot. Also, I breath some fresh air, accumulate steps in my Garmin fitness tracker, listen to great podcasts, all while improving my posture...
Also he made me notice how often I tend to shrug my shoulders, so I'm aware of this now, while driving, using the mouse, typing, etc.... Huge improvements came from this awareness and from actively keeping my shoulders down and back
Yeah, I got a adjustable stand for my laptop and external keyboard to address the time I may be seated. I do plenty of walking already as I live in NYC (about 5 miles a day on average, usually more). Was wondering if there were strength exercises. What I meant by 'already knowing the answer' being that the RC progressions, HBP progressions, sPL progressions, and TBs, were likely what I would receive in terms of feedback. Guess I just need to be more mindful of posture in the other times.
I second the idea of being mindful of your posture throughout the day. One of the best activities I have done to counteract desk patrol is classical ballet, which not only emphasizes good head and spinal alignment, but also moving the limbs and body while maintaining good hip, back and head alignment. Not for everyone I am sure, but worth some exploration or understanding.
For me, bridge work in the GB program is the most helpful antidote to desk patrol. While I enjoy good flexibility in the legs, hips, and shoulder, my thoracic flexibility is almost nil. It would probably be all nil without the bridge work.
Also, I also find that my pectorals have responded well to the mobility work, but my lats are resistant. Traps and rear delts and all that are very well covered, so I don't feel I need much extra to counteract desk patrol in terms of strengthening.
Don`t forget SL !!
I am interested to see the effects of various sidelever (SL) exercises taken in chuncks throughout the day for this condition. Over many months.
My entire sheet of back muscles are finally sore after starting SL PE4 (only 24 reps, ha ha).
Yeah, not there yet. Still working on SL/PE2, likely will master this block and then on to PE3. My progress hit a snag over the holidays. But I'm in this for the long haul. At least the PT said my shoulder strength was great, but like with everything I've dealt with in GB my mobility is not.
Wolf with One Ear, did you mean Thoracic Bridge stretch or the Bridge mobilities for Front Lever (or both, lol). I assume you meant the former, but was just wondering. Yeah, I need to be more mindful of how I'm reading, using my phone, my laptop, my body, etc. but at least, I know what to work on. All this time, spent on external rotations, too. Oh well....
I find both the Thoracic Bridge stretch series and the bridge mobility exercises helpful, but right now my bridge mobility is actually better than my current FL strength. Which means of course that my FL is terrible. So I do practice bridge push ups and holding a bridge in addition to the prescribed mobility for my current FL level.
Wolf with one Ear said:I find both the Thoracic Bridge stretch series and the bridge mobility exercises helpful, but right now my bridge mobility is actually better than my current FL strength. Which means of course that my FL is terrible. So I do practice bridge push ups and holding a bridge in addition to the prescribed mobility for my current FL level.
Same position here actually, I do limbers with FL ![]()
I've been using a standing desk for about two years now, It raises and lowers so that I can switch between sitting and standing throughout the work day, it has been hugely beneficial in helping to offset the negative effects of a 8-5 office job.
Thanks. I have a laptop and expressed ordered something comparable to the veridesk yesterday. Once/if I get a desktop and a proper living space (read: house) I'll likely invest in a veridesk, but for now, an adjustable stand for my laptop + external keyboard will have to do. Only one more semester of grad school (thank god), so hopefully wherever I end up less will be an environment that's more forgiving of my posture, lol. Thanks for the tip, though.
I keep a lacrosse ball in my desk drawer at the office. Every hour or so I stand up and use it to roll out my traps, shoulders and hips against the wall along with anything else that's feeling tight. I also really like two lacrosse balls taped together - lay down on them so they straddle the spine. Roll it up and down the spine making little circles on each side. I find this one indispensable for keeping the back tissues moving and for those little back pains that crop up far too frequently (although I don't do this one at work unless I'm desperate).
Yeah I have two individual lax balls and then one I found on amazon that is basically the same shape as two taped together lax balls, I use them daily along with a foam roller for my spine, lats, chest, hips, calves, and quads. It's been doing wonders.