This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Does Foundation+HS need lots of carbs?

Started by Alessandro Pantanella, January 11, 2016 · 5 Replies · 355 Views

Alessandro Pantanella

Hi,

 

I'm curious about how much carbs we need to fuel the training we do with Foundatoin and HS. I've been tinkering with carbs amount for quite a few months now and trying to find the right balance.

 

I found that if I go on the low side (<15% calories intake) and favour fats I have better mood and mental clarity all they long but less strength in the gym. Higher carbs (>30%) give me better training performance but mood swings and need to be timely with meals.

 

Few weeks ago I've started following a protocol that calls for 30 to 40% (depending on the intensity of the exercise for the day) calories from carbs, the rest of the calories is equally divided by fat and proteins.

Bulk of the carbs are in the morning and before and after the training.

This was designed for crossfit and intense weightlifting training but I found that is improving my performance as well even if I do only F and HS training.

 

Even tho I like the better training performance of this diet I'm not enjoying the mood and energy swings and I'm wondering if the kind of training we do really needs high intake of carbs or since we don't have explosive exercises in the program it can be fueled in a different way.

 

Is daily calories intake or protein intake more important that carbs/fat ratio?

 

Sorry if I'm getting ahead of the program but I'm finding this to be key in my performance.

 

Thanks,

 

Alessandro

 

PS: food sources are already in line with what so far has been taught in Thrive

Chris Garay

Hi Alessandro,

 

I would default to what Jeff says here, but most coaches I've worked with have preferred to tailor the carb intake to the individual. Factors to be considered include body fat, activity level, goals, etc. That said, if you are training hard, then the chances are that your body will require some carbs (just as it requires some proteins and fats as well) to recover and rebuild.

 

If it helps, I typically eat fruits during the day and starches at night to fuel my relatively high activity level and relatively low body fat. Curious as to Jeff's input here as well!

 

Best,

Chris

Alessandro Pantanella
Chris Garay said:

Hi Alessandro,

 

I would default to what Jeff says here, but most coaches I've worked with have preferred to tailor the carb intake to the individual. Factors to be considered include body fat, activity level, goals, etc. That said, if you are training hard, then the chances are that your body will require some carbs (just as it requires some proteins and fats as well) to recover and rebuild.

 

If it helps, I typically eat fruits during the day and starches at night to fuel my relatively high activity level and relatively low body fat. Curious as to Jeff's input here as well!

 

Best,

Chris

Thanks for your input Chris.

I agree there are many factors to be considered and the amount needs to be tailored to the individual. 

I'm curious as well about Jeff's point of view here.

Jeff Serven

Hi guys,

 

I have a lot to say about this topic and I think its something that needs a lot of attention but not here and not now. Focus on the step your on and we will be at this point in no time. 

 

It may seem crazy! It may seem like we are leaving performance on the table by not shoving supplements and pre and post workout carbs and proteins but what is really important in developing skills that matter like Back Squatting full depth twice your bodyweight or advanced ring strength is consistency.

 

People always want to show me a 6-12 portion of their food journal. I want to see the whole year, its what you do consistently over at least a year that matters. Master these first steps to the point where its muscle memory and that way you will have all the basics out of your way for when we we start digging into the really tough stuff.  

Jeff Serven

Both 15 and 30% of total calories is technically considered low carb. The definition is generally anything under 60%. That number is not set by me. 

Alessandro Pantanella

Thanks a lot Jeff I suspected that your answer would be something like that and I understand.

I'll keep working on the basics and we'll talk about it when time comes.