This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle up mastery ROM

Started by Shellberight, January 11, 2016 · 11 Replies · 388 Views

Shellberight

I've been encouraged to train straddle up rom until torso is pretty upright and palms are on the floor. However, the course video shows them being done with fingers to the floor. I'm now able to bring palms to floor and I like training this way as it forces me to train active flexibility rather than use momentum but obviously my legs are  now lower. This leaves me unsure about how high I should be able to elevate my legs with palms on floor to achieve mastery rom. Could someone enlighten me - maybe in terms of the angle between floor and legs or leg height vs head height?

Shellberight

The guy is moving fast during that time so it covers a wide range from head height to near horizontal. How about where he's at just before his butt leaves the floor?

Ryan Bailey

Ya, I know what you mean. I'm also interested in the answers to your question as I am working on this as well.

Shellberight

Are you doing/aiming for palms to floor, Ryan?

Ryan Bailey

Um, I guess. If I`m honest that sounds a little crazy for me because that seems so hard. When my palms are on the ground, I am doing srious compression to lift my feet off the ground... at all. This feels like a different movement all together... for me anyway. Feels like I straddle up then fall down onto palms or something. This is probably a poor excuse on my part.

I would like to have the hip active ROM similar to the video and be able to work through all the reps. That would be insane progress for me and I would be very happy with that. If palms to ground are mandatory, than I guess I wouldn`t move on till that happens.

Sounds like you are getting palms to ground, awesome!

Shellberight

They do feel a bit weird at first and sometimes you pull the legs up then drop them down a bit lower to a manageable level. That is something I'm trying to weed out. I've started them only recently but they are getting easier.

 

I wasn't going to post a new form check quite yet as I need to work on other parts of the movement (like toe pointing) but I will now. Personally I'd like to get a bit more height than I'm now capable of whether I have mastery ROM or not.

Ryan Bailey

I hear ya.  have you actually seen a video of 15 reps where someone has palms on ground with mastery leg height?  Also, if someone's trunk is longer in relationship to the arms, the legs would also have to be up very high, almost feet to ears for matching video height.

Shellberight

I've never seen anyone do them palms down and don't know how high the legs should then be. Body proportions surely play a part. Too bad if someone's got short arms and a long torso as you say.

Garrick Sevilla

Palms to floor is simply a cue to sit more upright.  It doesn't change the compression required for mastery.

Shellberight

So assuming the torso is upright, how high should the legs be? Head height/45 degrees/??

Cole Dano

Look at your first video in your form check thread, that's good enough for leg height.

 

Also in a situation when one of us mods gives you some advice in a form check, please, just ask your questions there since we don't always see every thread, and things like this have a way of getting misunderstood and out of hand really fast.