This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Any benefit to adding fresh lemon juice to water?

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), January 10, 2016 · 53 Replies · 1,684 Views

Sean Wood

Welcome and be prepared for the unexpected bonus core workout you'll get laughing at the posts here and throughout.  Best humour in all GST forum...I think...

Good luck!!

 

Aaron Hughson
On February 22, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Id be very skeptical of anything that openly measures its effectiveness against placebo. Thats like saying I can get better at doing push ups by doing push ups vs. sitting on the couch.

Somalie, why that of all supplements? Its targeted audience is "aerobic capacity" crowd. The limiting factor of your GST is more than likely not aerobic in nature. Just chorus? 

@Jeff ServenLate reply but I'll take a stab at it... For a time I had began eating very healthy (Paleo w/o the craziness and exercising. A sort of HIIT Bodyweight Circuit BF (before foundation). I did this for about 2 months and noticed soreness persisting for 3-4 days at a time. On a 3/wk workout schedule. I already knew of cell food and made a decision to add it to my diet. At this point I had amazing mental clarity and focus. But still the muscle soreness persisted. With the addition of cell food I was sore a day and felt amazing the next. I would test the on and off affects of supplementing with cell food for the next 3 months. I discovered increased stamina along with decreased muscle fatigue. Wasn't as baited in my breathing either. 

 

Going off of cell food it would take around 3 days for things to start going a bit south. 

Hope that helps. I know supplements are for that extra inch. So I use them as such.

Josh Shaw
On 7/3/2016 at 9:34 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Because I said so.

No, just kidding. Because once you add something where does it end? A lemon wedge is okay but is it okay to add a whole lemon? What about adding some stevia to it to make it taste better? Or how about some iced green tea with a "touch" of honey[read: 1/2 cup of honey]. Save yourself from yourself. You will go down this road of convoluted thinking of turning water into a vehicle for sugar. Have disciple and keep it straight water. 

Aside from any potential negatives from the things people add to water (i.e. sugar, chemicals in artificial sweeteners, etc.), is there science behind the rule?  Does the body do anything differently in response to drinking pure water vs water with a little lemon in it or some unsweetened green tea?  I get the point that you don't want to turn the water into some kind of sugar rush, but if you can add something to water that provides some additional nutritional benefits, doesn't load the water with calories or chemicals, and makes it more palatable (thus easier to form the habit), what is the harm?  Especially since the very first lesson states "Too many changes at once is a recipe for failure, so we take the approach of adding good habits before subtracting suboptimal foods. In fact, this entire level one course improves function without telling you what you can't eat." 

Gabriel Nunez

They used to warn us in USMC bootcamp all the time the importance of drinking water and staying hydrated, but at the opposite spectrum they made sure we made sure that we didn't drink TOO much. Water intoxication, or Hyponatremia, is life threatening and as with all things, must be done with moderation. The same with the lemons .. lol :D

: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/water-intoxication#1