This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Avoid nut flours?

Started by Mehmet, January 10, 2016 · 3 Replies · 241 Views

Mehmet

Hi Jeff,

 

In the Fat 101 essay, you say to avoid nut flours altogether. Considering something like almond flour is just ground almonds, what is the problem with it?

 

Thank you.

Jeff Serven

Mehmet - Yes, avoid nut flowers. What are you going to do with a nut flower that improves the quality of a meal? Generally they are combine with multiple sub-optimal ingredients to make junk. 

 

Almond flower is more than just ground almonds. After grinding you now need to address the caking issues with an anti-caking agent(s) and a preservative(s). I also never said anything about almonds either. 

 

The reason gluten/wheat is considered bad is because it contains anti nutrients that bind to minerals like zinc and make them unavailable to the body. Or in other words you have less minerals in your body after you ate the grains than before. Almond flour and coconut flower is on par with regular flour in these anti nutrients.

Mehmet

I mix it with eggs, butter, milk, protein powder and bake a cake out of it. But I get it. Thank you.

Jeff Serven

In the sense you are using it I would say its probably not going to kill you but its also not doing you any favors. Good to see that you have the eggs and butter in there. Nice job.