Shoulder pain (not necessarely cuff) + thumb burning

Started by Daniel Jorgensen, October 12, 2009 · 7 Replies · 2,896 Views

Daniel Jorgensen

I'm currently working planche progression. I hold tuck on the floor for 15 seconds. Hands pointing somewhere between "15 to 3" and "10 to 2"

1 question:

Right as I release the tension as I get out of the tuck I feel some major pain from the middle of the shoulder - I think its origin is supraspinatus or ant. deltoid. It hurts somewhat bad for 1-2 second after release, but I don't have any other complications(except from slight internal impingement). My question: Can this be meaning that I need more mass on my shoulders before continuing? Or is it simply a sign of over-used supraspinatus?

Question 2:

I feel a burning sensation in my right thumb while I'm in the hold. What can this be? And how to get rid of it?

Razz

I had the same thing when i was able to train but i explained to myself that it was just intense shoulder cramps :mrgreen:

maybe i was wrong, ill follow this post aswell.

braindx

Likely tight and or weak muscles allowing your nerves to be impinged.

I'd rest and massage them, and continue with strengthening (make sure you're working both side of the shoulder sufficiently). Possibly some RC work and DEFINIETLY shoulder mobility work all the way down to the forearm.

Burning sensation = bad... possibly very bad. I wouldn't not aggravate that if it hurts.

terpol

I had that problem in my left shoulder soon after starting with the frogstand. Rest didn't do much to help it but I saw this link on this forum and it cleared up pretty soon after doing those for a while. Also a stretch of crossing one arm across my chest and with my other arm hooked underneath it pulling it towards my body helped I think.

Daniel Jorgensen
braindx said:
Likely tight and or weak muscles allowing your nerves to be impinged.

I'd rest and massage them, and continue with strengthening (make sure you're working both side of the shoulder sufficiently). Possibly some RC work and DEFINIETLY shoulder mobility work all the way down to the forearm.

Burning sensation = bad... possibly very bad. I wouldn't not aggravate that if it hurts.

Do you have specific ideas for shoulder mobility?

When doing planche, where on the palm do you place the most weight?

braindx

1. Ido's stuff

2. In the middle... with my hands backwards

Parallettes its gonna be on the thumb more...

Fingers forward its on the fingers

Ido Portal

I would suggest seeing an ART specialist to treat this issue. It sounds like a nerve intrepment and can be resolved very easily by a person with the right knowledge.

Feel better,

Ido.

Daniel Jorgensen

Was at a ART specialist today. He said the issue was easy to feel. Now i'm just looking forward to check the delts in action tomorrow :)