This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kidney stones and Thrive

Started by Colm O'Shea, January 9, 2016 · 6 Replies · 224 Views

Colm O'Shea

Hi Jeff,

 

I'm enjoying the nutrition challenges so far. I have two questions, one about healthy fats and the other about rate of hydration. A few years ago I had a kidney stone--very painful, want to avoid getting another. My urologist at the time advised against high protein/high fat diets. Obviously I don't know what the future tasks will be on the course, but I was wondering if people with a history of renal stones should be aware of alternative courses they should take, or if this is immaterial. Also, I've been drinking my liter of water early in the day (pretty much over the course of my breakfast) to make sure I don't forget. That way any water I take in over the rest of the day is a bonus. I know hydration is essential to preventing stones, but does taking in the liter this quickly needlessly stress the kidneys or is it fine?  

 

Thanks,

Colm 

 

 

vinca_minor

I don't know crap, but I would expect it to help keep things flushed out (no pun intended).

Coach Sommer

As Thrive is neither a high fat nor a high protein diet you should be fine.  

 

I will let Jeff respond directly to your question regarding daily hydration scheduling.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Colm O'Shea

Thanks Coach. That's a relief. 

Jeff Serven

Colm,

 

What does the future of this course hold? Thats classified. Nice try. What I will tell you is we are not high fat nor low fat, we are not high carb nor low carb, we are not high protein or low protein. We are optimal fat, carbs and protein. Don't jump to the conclusion we are high fat because I asked you to eat "some". 

 

I have no idea what health you are in and what the condition of your kidneys are so it is impossible for me to speak on your exact situation here, but the generic info I can give you is ditch the calcium supplement you are taking and follow the steps of Thrive. Yes, there is far more advanced things you could do but we have to tackle this one step at time. 

 

In regards to the rate of hydration, it depends on how much water you drink in the day. If you are drinking a liter of water with breakfast I would imagine you drink 3-4 liters on average. If thats not the case, if you are drinking 1 liter with breakfast and .5 liters the rest of the day then you are correct in assuming this is not optimal. You should drink water throughout the day so if 60% of it or more is is happening at one time then no that is not optimal. 

Colm O'Shea

Jeff, 

 

Thanks for the reply. I see my plans to break into the classified course have been foiled! Drat. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't assuming the course was high fat/protein, I was just checking. I like to commit 100% to things, and dropping out halfway would bother me, so I figured I'd ask about general ratios in advance.  I don't take a calcium supplement, nor do I take any supplements. Perhaps that will change as time goes on, but for now I'm aiming to get everything from simple food. As far as I know, I'm in great health.

 

I really like Thrive's KISS approach, but the hydration thing is interesting to me because I never thought about *when* to drink. I tend to drink whenever I get thirsty, and since it's several glasses a day, I simply assumed I was drinking enough. Since starting the water task, I have noticed that the liter at breakfast probably doesn't get met by more than another liter for the entire rest of the day (not counting other sources like coffee, milk, etc). If that's not enough I could up it, but is the issue spacing out the initial first liter more throughout the day, or just consuming more in total throughout the day?  

 

Once again, thanks for your time.

Jeff Serven

Colm, 

 

Don't overthink it. Just get your water in and you should be fine. If you drink 100% of your water with breakfast that leaves 24 hours until your next watering(lack of a better term). That is not optimal! Keep drinking water with breakfast but also drink water throughout the day and with your workout and you'll be just fine. 

 

I like that your 100% in. That is the most important thing to success in anything. The most common thing I see with people who don't meet their objective is; they buy in 50% and do 50% of whatever they want then when it doesn't work they blame the 50% that wasn't them.

 

I am not a fan of extreme anything except for when you have an extreme problem. As in you have epilepsy and you need a diet to aid and assist with the treatment of your condition. We are all about optimal and the long term game. High fat/protein has a very specific purpose for a very small percentage of the population. I will explain my take on high fat/protein about half way into the course. Shoot me back some questions after that video.