This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Balderson Spreadable Cheddar Ok?

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), January 8, 2016 · 10 Replies · 288 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I have a spreadable cheddar by Balderson and I'm wondering if this is an acceptable cheese for the "healthy fat" category?

 

The ingredients are as follows:

 

Cheese (milk, bacterial culture, salt, rennet, cellulose), water, milk ingredients, salt, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, propylene glycol, alginate, carrageenan, guar gum, bacterial culture, artificial color.

 

I know it's not a proper block of cheese but it's a good brand and it's not exactly Kraft slices.... is this ok or no?

 

Cam

Jeff Serven

Shoot yourself in the face. 

El Chino

I'd take that as a no then Cameron :D

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Clear enough! Regular cheese only.

Rather than shoot myself in the face, I think I'll just toss out the spreadable cheddar.

Jeff Serven

Im just messing around with you Cameron! Spreadable cheese is a bad idea because there is more than just the ingredients you listed in there. G.R.A.S. is generally regarded as safe and in a very long list of additives that can be added to food without labeling them. And, as you can guess they are not "safe".

 

Cheese by its nature is not spreadable so to make it so is basically the process of trans fat. Partially hydrogenating a fat. Not good. 

 

Cheese can be made with multiple process, shredded cheese in the bag and any of the "cheese" near them are in reality more "cheese product" like Kool-Aid is "grape drink". When I say cheese I mean an aged parmesan or a grass fed raw aged cheddar from whole food or trader joes. Something with high K2. 

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Cool - thanks for the explanation Jeff!

I was wondering why it would be so bad, because based on the ingredients, it didn't seem terrible to me.

I'll stay away from it moving forward.

Cheers man

Cam

Andre737

I guess the same applies to cream cheese(in german its called "Frischkäse",don't know if the translation is correct) and cottage cheese?

Jeff Serven

Ander - Can you upload me a picture? The same applies to Philadelphia cream cheese but something like Neufchâtel cheese is a good option. As far as Frischkäse Im not sure. But, all of this leads to the question; what do you want spreadable cheese for? There are not a whole lot of heathy things you can spread cheese on. 

 

Cottage cheese is fine as long as it conforms to all the rules. 1) full fat 2) optimally organic and 3) nice to have from a grass fed cow.  Also, you better be okay with lactose, whey and casein.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Haha maybe shooting myself in the face is preferable ;)

Ashe Higgs
On 1/8/2016 at 3:28 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Shoot yourself in the face. 

This made me LOL for real.