This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Building up the working capacity

Started by Marcosz, January 8, 2016 · 14 Replies · 593 Views

Marcosz

Hi there,

 

I am currently doing the "B" week of all the PE 1s from F1 and I was thinking about the working capacity, and how to increase it, so as not to struggle later on.

 

Is it a viable idea to successfully finish the MoWeFri (3x split/week template) and BEFORE moving onto the next element, try to master the 4x split/week OR MoWe (A B split) and Fri (F7) ?? Or maybe try to be able to work up till 3x F7/week ?

 

For I feel that the form could use some work, talking about the last set... To have the feeling of power and control all the way through.

 

I do realize it will take a bit more time to progress, of course.

 

Any ideas would be most welcome :)

 

Força,

Marek

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

To save you confusion...find a format that consistently works for you. Only once you've either finished F1 or later on with F4, do you truly need to worry about doing all the elements in a single warmup (as it's a precursor to Rings 1). So being that youre just starting just work on recovering well and progressing well.

Joshua Slocum

Try lots of things and find what works best for you. Alternating 3/4 week splits is a valid idea. So is trying A mon B weds F7 fri. Spend a few weeks on each schedule and see how it feels.

Marcosz

Thank you for the answers - first things first though, I need to master the task at hand prior to fantasize about anything else... :)

Leonhard Krahé
Joshua Slocum said:

Alternating 3/4 week splits is a valid idea.

Hi Joshua, could you please explain this a little more? It's probably totally obvious and I will be facepalming hard later but right now I'm a little confused.

Thanks

Leo

Ryan Bailey

Building work capacity is very individualized. For some, 20 minutes of foundation workout may leave someone completely gassed, for others, 1 hour is ok.

I believe it depends on each person`s goal for work capacity.

For example, I wanted a work capacity to handle 3x/week of F7. I felt like a lazy ass on day 1 workout and was willing to take a LONG time to build endurance.

I looked at a 3 month window to transition this goal.

1st month I sucked wind.

2nd month sucked less wind.

3rd month working hard, no sucking wind.

Remember, if work capacity is very low in the beginning, the workout templates are going to be lower reps as well; in the earlier blocs of the templates. This allows the body to build up the work capacity nicely from the very beginning.

If someone's goal is completing 3 elements in one workout, then I assume the schedule would reflect training 3 one day then 4 another, ect.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ryan, have you effectively transitioned to F7 three times per week? Also how do you schedule in Handstand, Stretch, and Movement in that case?

Ryan Bailey

Yes.

I have switched up programming as new GB courses entered the equation throughout the year. Total,

I have done 5-6 months of F7, 3x/wk.

Example, last month schedule was:

M-W-F = F7 (average 39 - 52 minutes)

T-Th = 2x/wk of HS1/pHS, Stretch

Saturday: T1/stretch

(Yes, this last month was the largest volume as I also completed a 5 mile MAF (Phil Maffetone) time trial run. I needed to sit down and prioritize)

I have a new goal now, 6 month trial of aerobic base building using MAF approach in addition to GST.

The last 2 weeks I backed off to F7, 2x/wk since I now add 90 - 180 min/week of slow heart rate, cross country skiing/running.

M-F = F7

T/Th HS1/pHS, 2 stretch series.

Wed PM stretch

Sat: T1

Adding a couple stretch series at night has opened up the day a little more as well.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

That's impressive. I may switch it up. I don't feel worked after doing the three-day split for foundation. Was curious as to other insights. So that is appreciated

Ryan Bailey

Ya. In the 3 or 4 day split I got to the point where I had a lot of extra energy and motivation; found myself adding 1-3 hours of additional mobility or disorganized foundation practice.

I finally thought, why not just do a more focussed foundation schedule and programing? Less fartin around this way, I felt for me anyway. I also focussed on not Bullsh#%tin in the gym between sets.

I now look forward to deload week and take advantage of it to rest. Before, I was not resting much during deload week.

Again, I have this schedule because work capacity in a GST fashion is my goal. It would be different if I was strong enough to do Olympic lifting or crossfit.

DonGray

Oh man, I've been missing the point of work capacity for a very long time! Even now I've managed to cut any extra rest between sets of one exercise, other than the IM, but I let myself have rest between exercises... Sometimes this is due to equipment (dip station/floor space being taken) But is that missing the point? Should we go straight from one exercise to the other with the aim of keeping our total Foundation workout as short as possible, Or should we be taking a minute or 2 between exercises? :)

Ryan Bailey
DonGray said:

Oh man, I've been missing the point of work capacity for a very long time! Even now I've managed to cut any extra rest between sets of one exercise, other than the IM, but I let myself have rest between exercises... Sometimes this is due to equipment (dip station/floor space being taken) But is that missing the point? Should we go straight from one exercise to the other with the aim of keeping our total Foundation workout as short as possible, Or should we be taking a minute or 2 between exercises? :)

I do not think short as possible is the desired goal; nor feeling rushed. Atleast that's my understanding.

Jon Douglas

I like to try to beat the clock, but balance it with quality as necessary.

Remember feeling worked is not necessarily a sign of getting a productive workout. Ryans approach of taking his consistent restlessness as an indicator of when to add more is better. Its tempting to try to power through but working at say 90% optimal volume for your current work capacity comes out a whole lot better than working at 110% :)

Not to say you shouldn't be working hard of course! :D

DonGray

What is a sign of a productive workout then?   Performing quality movement & hitting the day's total sets+reps with as perfect form as possible and no mini breaks/drop in tempo?

 

Whilst simultaneously reducing the amount of rest between different exercises e.g SPL / HBP.... ?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would say so. I'm not sure of the stance of GB on working up to F7 or how it would/should get incorporated into training beyond that for Rings all seven elements (thusly F7) serve as a type of warm-up to the routine. Or so I have it understood.