This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dizziness and nausea

Started by Mark Collins, January 7, 2016 · 12 Replies · 246 Views

Mark Collins

I don't handle the consecutive rolling and get alot of dizziness and nausea. It feels slightly better each week. Would it help if I did some forward rolling daily to quicken the adaption period?

Cory Fair
Mark Collins said:

I don't handle the consecutive rolling and get alot of dizziness and nausea. It feels slightly better each week. Would it help if I did some forward rolling daily to quicken the adaption period?

 

Our experience has been that the mobility from SL/PE1 and SL/PE2 helps tremendously if done slowly and with volume on a daily basis.

 

https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/movement-intro/

Cole Dano

I had a conversation about this with a Otologist about this and one thing he recommended to help speed adaptation was to always stop immediately when the dizziness comes, and waif for it to subside before continuing.

Mark Collins

I will try both. When I was a child I use to suffer with car sickness so I am obviously vunerable to to spinning around.

Cole Dano

Same here Mark, it is possible to get accustomed to tumbling, just don't tumble and read a book. :)

Ryan Bailey

With vestibular rehab training we sometimes ride the fence of dizziness; making sure intensity is lower but present, to stimulate the adaptation.

ausswe

i noticed i was feeling very sick and nauseous after doing a few rolls as well.  would doing them daily or at least a few times a week and stopping and waiting for the nausea be more beneficial than doing it once a week?  it feels more like hs work and takes very little time so i thought maybe doing it more frequently would speed things up. 

Coach Sommer
Mark Collins said:

I don't handle the consecutive rolling and get alot of dizziness and nausea. It feels slightly better each week. Would it help if I did some forward rolling daily to quicken the adaption period?

 

If you get sick from rolling consecutively, then why are you rolling consecutively?   ;)

 

The inner ear needs time to adapt.  If you are feeling dizzy and nauseous, you have pushed it too hard.  

 

Slow down.  Way down.

 

Perform one roll at a time.  Take as much time as necessary in between reps.  When in doubt, take longer.

 

We have found that adults with sensitive inner ears also benefit from standing chest rolls performed VERY VERY slowly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins
Coach Sommer said:

If you get sick from rolling consecutively, then why are you rolling consecutively?   ;)

I am in too much of hurry to get to integrated rolling! I will slow down and let the body adapt.

dritar

Try doing as a warmup something like a  60 second tripod, headstand or elbow stand (or handstand if you're that good :)). 

DBeckerman

This is a normal adaption process to rolling which can take weeks to months. It took me awhile to get used to it doing judo

Nick Roy

I'm just getting the technique down properly so I stop coming down on my back. Some rolls are smooth, other rolls are forced lol

Mark Collins

I have dropped back to two consecutive rolls which gives mild dizziness that settles in 5 secs. Yet again I am taught the need to be patient.