This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip clunk in MN/PE1

Started by The Hansenator, January 7, 2016 · 5 Replies · 262 Views

The Hansenator

After some set backs I'm restarting MN/PE1.

 

Lifting up seems ok but every time I lower back down the right hip clunks. I found that if I try to really tense the obliques on the opposite side the clunk diminishes but never goes away. It's not just this exercise either, it happens with any leg raise type exercise.

 

What might cause this, is there a fix for it?

 

Thanks.

Ryan Bailey

How is your FL PE1 and FL PE3? As well as Verticle shin stretch for hip flexor?

I find as these improve, the hip and pelvic tilt dynamic movements in the supine positions smooth out.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

By hip clunk, do you mean like clicking? Say of a tendon or muscle over the joint? Sometime I get that with my hips, which I know is due to strength imbalances and lacking flexibility. Ryan's suggestions are spot-on, you could look to some specific stretches in Middle Split Stretch series for further guidance. I have similar issues sometimes and have to be mindful not to aggravate it (as the same situation happened with my shoulder and now I have a rotator cuff issue).

The Hansenator

Thanks for the replies.

 

It's more of a clunk than a click. 

 

I'm kind of starting over so I'm working on FL PE1 right now and that seems fine.

 

I did find there's a muscle/tendon/something in the lower-outside part of the right glute area. Looking at anatomy charts, it's where the lower part of the glute max might be but it feels like a rope which starts in the glute area and goes down toward the back of the leg. When I compare left and right, there is obviously less tension on that side.

 

I did a few sets of Arch Body Holds because that seems to do a good job activating the area isometrically and then the first couple reps of  tuck ups had no clunk. Not only that, when I tense up that area, it feels like the right hip rotates back a little and the QL relaxes and my back feels better. 

 

Since it seems to make such a big difference, I'd welcome suggestions for building some muscle tone in that particular area.

AmyJ

I also get this clunk (definitely not a click), but in my left hip whe I lower my leg in MN PE1. It doesn't happen I keep my leg bent on the descent. I wondered if it was due to a tense psoas.

Mark Collins

Some people get this and no one really knows why. As long as it causes no pain do not worry. I suspect it is genetic shape of your body.